Latest News

Class action lawsuit filed over tainted blood pressure meds

A second class action lawsuit was filed against manufacturers and distributors of a high blood pressure drug that was found to be contaminated with a probable cancer-causing impurity. The lawsuit was filed in Boston federal court against New Jersey-based Camber Pharmaceuticals Inc., and Hetero Drugs Ltd. Hetero is based in India but makes the drug ingredient, valsartan, with its partner, Hetero USA Inc., also based in New Jersey. The lawsuit claims poor safety procedures at the India plant should have tipped the companies off years ago that the drugs could be contaminated. Instead, the companies “willfully ignored warning signs.” In ... Read More

Goshen residents file lawsuit over building demolition

A group of 56 Goshen, Indiana, residents have filed a lawsuit against Johnson Controls alleging the demolition of its facility in the town exposed them and their properties to cancer-causing asbestos, and that tons of asbestos-contaminated debris was illegally buried in a farm just east of town. The lawsuit was filed last month in Elkhart County Circuit Court in Indiana, and names Johnson Controls Inc., (JCI) and TOCON Holdins LLC., which bought the building from Johnson Controls in 2007. First Federal Savings Bank (FFSB) of Huntington is also named as a defendant in the case because it holds the mortgage ... Read More

Sick, elderly couple denied expedited Roundup trial

A California judge ruled this week that an elderly couple, each with non-Hodgkin lymphoma, were not sick enough to warrant having their case heard before other plaintiffs suing Monsanto over claims that its weed killers cause cancer. Alva, 76, and Alberta Pilliod, 74, were diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma in 2011 and 2015, respectively. They claim that they developed cancer after years of using Monsanto’s Roundup on their garden. Their attorney argued that the couple deserved an expedited trial date for fear they might relapse and their health decline due to their cancers. A joint trial was requested for January or ... Read More

Third hypertension drug found to contain probable carcinogen

A third medication for high blood pressure has been found to contain trace amounts of a suspected cancer-causing agent, prompting another recall. This time, Sandoz Inc., recalled one lot of losartan potassium hydrochlorothiazide tablets after trace amounts of the impurity N-nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA) was detected. The active pharmaceutical ingredient losartan was manufactured by Zhejiang Huahai Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd. Sandoz’s losartan potassium hydrochlorothiazide is manufactured by Lek Pharmaceuticals dd, Ljubijana, Slovenia. NDEA is classified as a probable human carcinogen by the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). Losartan potassium hydrochlorothiazide tablets are used to treat hypertension. The drug ... Read More

Ohio ruling opens doors for decades-old CTE cases

The Ohio Supreme Court allowed a CTE lawsuit brought by a now-deceased Notre Dame football player to move forward, clearing a major statute of limitations hurdle. The ruling opens the door for former football players suffering from long-term brain injuries discovered years after their playing days to overcome initial statute of limitation defenses. The case was filed in 2014 by former Notre Dame football player Steven Schmitz and his wife against Notre Dame and the NCAA. Schmitz had played for the university from 1974 to 1978 and died in 2015. The lawsuit accuses the NCAA of failing to warn players ... Read More

6-year-old undergoes emergency surgery after swallowing fidget toy

Six-year-old Mikah Arvidson didn’t want his older brother to catch him playing with his spinning fidget toy, so he popped it in his mouth. When he accidentally swallowed the toy, he didn’t think to tell anyone, not even his parents. When he started complaining of awful stomach cramps and started vomiting, his parents assumed he had a stomach bug. But inside his body, the 14 magnets that were a part of the toy became lodged in his intestines. Three days later, Mikah wasn’t getting any better. His parents, Blake and Aubrey, took him to Utah’s Primary Children’s Hospital thinking he ... Read More

More doctors face discipline in opioid Death Certificate Project

A total of 23 physicians face new disciplinary actions by the Medical Board of California after being flagged because a patient they had prescribed opioids to suffered a fatal overdose. California’s Death Certificate Project, launched three years ago, was designed to curb the nation’s growing opioid epidemic that accidentally kills thousands each year. The project takes death certificates in which prescription opioids were listed as the cause, then matches them with the provider – or providers – who prescribed any controlled substance to that patient within three years of death. The provider is flagged regardless of whether the particular drug ... Read More

Window Blinds Injure Two Children Every Day in the U.S.

Window blinds injure two children every day and kill one child each month on average in the U.S., according to an epidemiologic study published in the journal Pediatrics. From 1990 to 2015, nearly 17,000 children younger than 6 years old were treated in U.S emergency rooms for window blind-related injuries. A little less than half the injuries involved being struck by a window blind, such as being hit by a falling blind. Just 12 percent of the injuries involved entanglements, mostly with the cords on the blinds, but these injuries accounted for most of the hospitalizations and deaths, researchers found. Data ... Read More

Panda Express Worker Suffers Burn Injuries in Kitchen Explosion

A worker suffered burn injuries in a suspected gas explosion in the kitchen of a Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Panda Express restaurant Nov. 5. Hawaii Fire Department Battalion Chief John Whitman told West Hawaii Today that the injured worker was taken to Kona Community Hospital for treatment of her burn injuries. A second person was also injured in the explosion, but the nature and extent of the injuries is unclear. The injured Panda Express worker told responders that she smelled gas after a rice cooker dropped on the floor in the kitchen area of the restaurant. When she bent down to pick ... Read More

Some farmers cautious about Roundup after multimillion-dollar verdict

Some Missouri farmers are taking more precautions while using the herbicide Roundup since a California jury awarded a school groundskeeper $289 million after finding that the weed killer contributed to his terminal cancer diagnosis. Some privately told KCTV5 that for decades they believed Roundup was as safe as table salt so they didn’t take precautions. Farmer Jeff Nail says he now wears long sleeves and gloves when he treats his fields. “I’ve been soaked a lot on accident,” he said. “But, if you use it, according to the label, there is no risk of cancer. That’s according to the EPA.” ... Read More