Category

Consumer Products 531 articles

Target Recalls Easter Egg Toys Over Life-Threatening Ingestion Risks

Recall - Easter egg toy, Target

Target issued an urgent recall of water-absorbing Hatch & Grow Easter egg toys Thursday over fears the objects could expand inside a child’s body if swallowed and potentially cause life-threatening injuries. The national retailer is recalling about 560,000 units of the toy, which are individually packaged and resemble small colorful Easter eggs, bunnies, chicks, and butterflies. The Chinese-made products were sold in Target stores nationwide between February 2017 and March 2017 for about $1 each. The U.S. Product Safety Commission (CPSC) says the recall also covers similar toys with multiple product names, such as “Easter Grow Toys” and “Hatch Your ... Read More

Couple that found dead bat in prepackaged salad must undergo rabies testing

Greater short-nosed fruit bat (Cynopterus sphinx)

A bat’s deteriorating carcass found in bag of prepackaged salad purchased at a Florida Walmart has prompted a recall of a limited number of cases of Fresh Express’s Organic Marketside Spring Mix. The contaminated salad is undergoing testing by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to rule out whether the bat had rabies and if the consumers of the salad were at risk. “Transmission of rabies by eating a rabid animal is extremely uncommon, and the virus does not survive very long outside of the infected animal,” the CDC said in a press release. “CDC is supporting Florida local and ... Read More

World’s strongest coffee may cause health issues for some

Coffee Beans

The world’s strongest coffee, called Black Insomnia, is now available for purchase through Amazon.com. Packing 1.7 times more caffeine than the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) daily recommended intake, the brew will not only wake you up, it may land you in the emergency room. Black Insomnia coffee was founded by Sean Kristafor last June. The coffee was first sold locally in cafes in Cape Town, South Africa. The coffee flew off the shelves, so Kristafor decided to take the product worldwide. He knew he had a niche. “If you want to stand out, you need to be the ‘est’ ... Read More

CPSC approves new infant bath tub standard

baby in tub - CPSC

A time for splish splashing, baby’s bath can be quite the juggling act. To make bath time as safe as possible, the Consumer Product Safety Commission approved a new federal standard for infant bath tubs last week. The new standard, designed to strengthen ASTM International’s voluntary standards, includes several new requirements, such as static load testing, latching and locking mechanisms, and drowning and fall warnings. Infant tubs are used to hold water and be placed in “an adult bath tub, sink, or on top of other surfaces to provide support or containment, or both, for an infant in a reclining, sitting, ... Read More

Baby Box program available to expecting Alabama families

Baby Box, Alabama

Alabama will join Ohio and New Jersey as one of three states in the nation to offer expecting parents a free Baby Box. Earlier this week, Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley announced the program, a partnership with The Baby Box Co., Alabama Rural Development Office, Alabama Department of Public Health and numerous others, expects to distribute 60,000 Baby Boxes in 2017. The boxes, available after a mother watches a 15-20 minute video online at the Baby Box University website, are made of durable cardboard and contain a firm box-sized mattress and other baby care items in an effort to decrease the ... Read More

More than 63K pounds of ground beef contaminated with ‘extraneous material’

ground beef

King’s Command Foods LLC is recalling approximately 63,252 pounds of ground beef products that may be contaminated with “extraneous material,” according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS). The problem was discovered when the company received several consumer complaints that metal objects were found in the beef products. To date, there are been no confirmed reports of injuries or adverse reactions due to the consumption of these products. Anyone with concerns about an injury or illness should contact their health care provider. This recall, which is an expansion of a previous recall announced March 9, ... Read More

Passenger’s Headphones Explode On Flight From China To Australia

burn injury, exploding headphones, airplane - image courtesy CNN

Australian authorities are investigating an explosion and fire caused by a pair of headphones that injured a female passenger about two hours into a flight from Beijing to Melbourne. The passenger was sleeping while playing music on the headphones when she heard a loud explosion and felt a burning sensation on her face. “I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck,” she told the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB). “I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor.” The passenger said the headphones were sparking and on ... Read More

Increase in infant injuries from carriers, strollers, cribs

crib safety

Every eight minutes, a baby or toddler in the U.S. is treated in the emergency department for injuries caused by nursery products, according to new research published in the journal Pediatrics. The study analyzed 21 years of emergency department data and found that injuries to young children involving pumpkin seats, strollers or cribs jumped 23.7 percent from 2003 to 2011. Most of the infant injuries were to the head, neck or face, primarily because when toddlers fall, they tend to fall headfirst because their heads are proportionately larger than the rest of their bodies. Researchers also noted that 80 percent ... Read More

One Girl Dead, Two Severely Burned in House Fire Cause by Exploding Hoverboard

hoverboard, burned - CPSC image

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, authorities say a hoverboard that exploded while it was charging is to blame for a house fire that killed a 3-year-old girl and critically injured two others. Firefighters reached the three-story house shortly after the blaze was reported around 8 p.m. Friday, March 10. Strong winds in the area at the time fueled the inferno and the first floor was reportedly engulfed in flames. The Lehigh County coroner’s office identified the child who died as Ashanti Hughes. Rescuers retrieved two other girls who were trapped on the second and third floors, and two other family members escaped onto ... Read More

Increasing number of children ingesting hand sanitizer – on purpose

hand sanitizer

Thousands of kids in the U.S. have gotten sick by both intentionally and unintentionally drinking alcohol-based hand sanitizer, according to a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). For the study, CDC researchers analyzed National Poison Data System statistics from 2011 to 2014, and found 70,669 children younger than 12 had either ingested or gotten alcohol-based hand sanitizers into their eyes. More than 8,000 of those cases resulted in adverse health effects including abdominal pain and vomiting. There were also five cases of coma. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are readily available at retail stores across the country. They are ... Read More