Consumer Products 659 articles

#TidePodChallenge blamed for sending college student to hospital

It was only a matter of time before the dangerous new social media trend of eating neon-colored detergent-filled pods sent someone to the hospital. Last weekend, a Utah State University student was rushed to a hospital after taking the challenge. Campus police called the incident a “Tide Pod overdose,” though university officials labeled it as an ingested Tide Pod event, that was in no way “connected to a larger trend involving Tide pods.” Regardless, the female student was taken to a local hospital after somehow consuming a Tide pod. Her condition was not immediately known. The challenge comes on the ... Read More

Bed Bath & Beyond Recalls Comforters Over Toxic Mold Concerns

Bed Bath & Beyond and federal product safety regulators are coordinating a recall of about 175,000 “Hudson” comforters made by UGG due to the potential presence of toxic mold. Bed Bath & Beyond and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said that mold was discovered on some of the recalled comforters, posing a risk of respiratory infection and other infections in people with impaired immune systems, chronic health problems, and allergies. The comforters covered by the recall were sold at Bed Bath & Beyond locations throughout the country and a few additional units were sold in Canada. The “Hudson” ... Read More

Shredded coconut linked to salmonella outbreak

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and public health and regulatory officials in several states are investigating a multistate outbreak of Salmonella infections linked to Coconut Tree Brand Frozen Shredded Coconut, distributed by Evershing International Trading Company. The outbreak has sickened at least 25 people in nine states. Six of those infected were hospitalized. To date, no deaths have been reported. On Jan. 3, 2018, Evershing International Trading Company recalled all 16-ounce packages of Coconut Tree Brand Frozen Shredded Coconut after the product was identified by Massachusetts officials as the source of ... Read More

Texas Man Injured By E-Cigarette Blast Files Lawsuit

A Houston man whose e-cigarette exploded in his face a year ago, leaving him with serious facial and bodily injuries, has filed a product liability lawsuit against the manufacturer of the lithium-ion battery that allegedly caused the blast and the e-cig shop that sold it to him. According to the SE TexasRecord, plaintiff Dunta White, a resident of Harris County, claims that H Town Vape Inc., the shop where he bought the allegedly defective lithium-ion battery, and LG Chem Ltd., the Korean electronics company that made the battery, are liable for the injuries that the exploding e-cigarette caused. When the ... Read More

Fieldbrook expands cream bar recall to include raspberry cream bars

The Fieldbrook Foods Corporation’s cream bar recall has expanded once again, to include more than 28,000 cases of Raspberry Cream Bars that were included with Orange Cream Bars in ALDI seasonal split-case purchases. The expanded recall adds to a previous recall of all orange cream bars and chocolate coated vanilla ice cream bars that were produced in 2017 on the company’s Hoyer 1 Line at its Dunkirk, New York plant. Bars manufactured at the other two Fieldbrook Foods plants are not affected. The recall was initiated because there is a risk the cream bars may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, ... Read More

Cream bar recall expanded to include dozens more brands

Fieldbrook Foods Corporation is expanding a recall of select brands of orange cream bars to include all orange cream bars and chocolate coated vanilla cream bars that were produced in 2017 on the company’s Hoyer 1 Line at its Dunkirk, New York, plant. Both products are being recalled due to the possibility that they may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and people with weakened immune systems. Healthy individuals may suffer short-term symptoms like high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. ... Read More

Meltdown and Spectre Processor Flaws Expose Everyone to Data Theft

Meltdown and Spectre, the names given to recently detected hardware vulnerabilities in microprocessors that expose nearly every computer, smartphone, and server to potential data theft, have hardware and software developers scrambling to develop protective patches. Consumers of both Windows and Mac computers are being urged to update their operating software immediately. While many Windows and Mac updates are automatic, many computer users may have their devices configured to refuse automatic updates. Researchers say that Meltdown, a flaw that affects the communication between applications and the operating system, affects nearly every Intel central processing unit (CPU) made since 1995, with the ... Read More

HP Recalls Notebooks, Workstations Over Lithium Battery Fire Risk

Hewlett-Packard (HP) said it is voluntarily recalling certain notebook computers and mobile workstation computers containing lithium-ion batteries that can potentially overheat posing a risk of fire, burn injuries, and property damage. HP is urging customers to check their devices to see if they are affected by the recall. The recall covers the battery only and not the entire device. According to the company, the affected computers and batteries were manufactured December 2015 and December 2017. HP says the some of the lithium batteries were sold as accessories or provided as replacements through HP or an authorized HP service provider. Many ... Read More

Orange cream bars recalled due to Listeria scare

Boxes of Tops brand Orange Cream Bars and Meijer Purple Cow brand Orange Cream Bars may look innocent enough with adorable animals posing next to the tasty treats. But buyer beware. Fieldbrook Foods Corporation, maker of the products, has issued a recall of 20 cases of the Tops brand product and 320 cases of Meijer Purple Cow brand cream bars because they may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The nasty organism can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. While healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as ... Read More

Claire’s pulls 9 talc-containing kids’ cosmetics from store shelves

Claire’s Stores Inc., removed nine talc-containing makeup products from its retail stores after a CNN affiliate reported that the products contained tremolite asbestos, a known carcinogen. If swallowed or inhaled, the mineral can cause lung damage and cancer, including mesothelioma, a particularly aggressive and deadly form of cancer. Claire’s said it conducted its own tests on the cosmetics, which turned up no asbestos. The company said it pulled the makeup out of an abundance of caution. The company also confirmed that the talcum powder is supplied by a certified asbestos-free European vendor. Claire’s announced that it was halting sales of ... Read More