Consumer Products 659 articles

Plaintiffs Claim Defective Electric Pressure Cookers Caused Burn Injuries

Electric pressure cookers were among 2017’s hottest holiday gifts, but not all pressure cookers are created equal and some consumers have suffered severe burn injuries from electric pressure cookers they allege to be defective. At least 20 lawsuits have been filed against Tristar Products Inc., alleging that its Tristar Power Pressure Cooker XL and some of its other electric pressure cooker models caused burn injuries, the Daily Hornet reports. Recently, 12 plaintiffs who claim they were injured by Tristar pressure cookers have joined a pair of lawsuits filed in the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas) ... Read More

FDA issues final rule on OTC antiseptic soaps

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is banning antiseptic soaps, hand sanitizers and rubs that contain triclosan and 23 other active ingredients because data suggests that antibacterial ingredients may do more harm than good over the long term. Any companies that wish to sell products containing those ingredients will now be required to file a new drug application and establish that the ingredients are safe and effective for consumer use. The final rule was first proposed in 2015 and has since come under review several times. Most antiseptics on the market will not be affected by this rule, and those ... Read More

E-Cigarette Lithium-ion Battery Explosion Triggers Wisconsin Lawsuit

A Wisconsin woman who suffered severe burn injuries when an e-cigarette exploded in her pants pocket is suing the shop that sold her the device, the distributor of the allegedly faulty device, and the manufacturer of the lithium-ion batteries that caused the blast. The Madison County Record reports that plaintiff Audra Buckley says she bought an e-cigarette with two mini lithium-ion batteries from Green Forest Vapor Shop in Waterloo, Wisconsin on Jan. 4, 2017. The lithium-ion batteries, she claims, were unreasonably dangerous because they exploded in her pocket. The exploding lithium-ion batteries left her with burn injuries on her hips, ... Read More

E-Cigarette Explosion Tears Up Hawaii Man’s Face

A Hawaii man says is considering a lawsuit after an e-cigarette exploded in his face, blowing out four of his teeth and ripping up his mouth. Twenty-five-year-old Matt Yamashita of Pearl City told HawaiiNewsNow that he was getting ready to play basketball at Pacific Palisades Park in Pearl City and went to use his e-cigarette before he started playing. “As soon as I took that first rip, it just blew up in my face,” he told HawaiiNewsNow. In addition to losing some of his teeth, Mr. Yamashita suffered facial lacerations and burns. He has about 40 stitches “holding his mouth ... Read More

Food banks recall candy possibly laced with chemicals

Harvesters – The Community Food Network is notifying all its partner food pantry agencies to remove from their warehouses all Bibi Frutix candy products received through the Harvesters’ distribution program because the candy is likely contaminated with a chemical substance and can be harmful if eaten. The chemical contaminant was not identified, but according to the Wamego, Kansas Police Department, several people who sampled the contents reported that the sugar powder inside the product had a chemical taste. There have been two reports of illness to date, the first of which was reported by a partner food pantry agency in ... Read More

U.S. Airlines Are Barring Smart Bags With Lithium Batteries

Major U.S. airlines say they will stop accepting “smart bags” powered by lithium batteries next year unless the batteries can be removed. The impending ban, which is expected to reduce the risk of fire in the cargo hold, will go into effect on all American Airlines flights starting Jan. 15, with additional U.S. carriers following suit. A number of luggage manufacturers have introduced bags equipped with lithium battery-powered features that many travelers will find convenient. According to the Chicago Tribune, one bag made by Away can charge a drained iPhone five times, while one made by G-RO features charging capabilities ... Read More

Kroger recalls infant water due to mold contamination

The Kroger Company is recalling Comforts FOR BABY Purified Water with Fluoride Added after receiving complaints that there was mold in the product. Laboratory testing identified the mold as Talaromyces penicillium, which can cause allergic reactions in some people. Affected products include 1 gallon (3.78 L) clear bottles with the sell by dates from April 26, 2018 to Oct. 10, 2018,  the UPC Code 0 41260 37597 2, and the plant code 51-4140. The labels also state DISTRIBUTED BY THE KROGER CO, CINCINNATI, OHIO 45202. The water was distributed to Kroger stores, including Food 4 Less, Jay C, Jay C ... Read More

Charging Hoverboard Sets Fire To Missouri Apartment

A charging hoverboard with a lithium battery overheated and started a fire inside a second-floor apartment in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, early Tuesday morning. The Cape Girardeau Fire Department said crews responded to a report of a fire at a three-story apartment complex just before 5:00 Tuesday morning. Firefighters arriving at the scene saw no evidence of fire from the exterior of the building, but upon entry found a small fire, moderate, heat and a buildup of smoke in a bedroom of a second-floor unit. “… The fire grew significantly, but lacked enough oxygen to reach flashover, and decayed on its ... Read More

CPSC Issues Another LayZ Board Hoverboard Warning, Multiple Recalls

A second house fire caused by a LayZ Board hoverboard has triggered another warning from federal authorities urging consumers to stop using that brand of self-balancing mobile device immediately. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued its latest warning about LayZ Board hoverboards Tuesday, Nov. 14, along with seven safety recalls for other hoverboards, all of which contain rechargeable lithium batteries that pose the threat of overheating, exploding, and starting fires. The CPSC issued its first warning about fire and explosion risks posed by LayZ Board hoverboards on May 1, after one of the hoverboards started a fire in ... Read More

Exploding Lithium Battery Triggers Evacuation of Orlando Airport

An exploding lithium battery inside a camera bag sent people at Orlando International Airport into a panic Friday and prompted the evacuation of the main terminal building. The noises the lithium battery made as it overheated and exploded were mistaken by many in the airport for a bomb or other terrorist incident, according to various reports. News of a shootout at the airport circulated on social media immediately following the blast. No injuries were reported. According to WKMG ClickOrlando, the lithium battery explosion occurred around 5 p.m. at the security checkpoint at the entrance to gates 1-59. “As a result ... Read More