Cargill Value Added Meats Retail, a business unit of Wichita-based Cargill Meat Solutions Corporation, over the weekend announced an immediate Class 1 voluntary recall of approximately 185,000 pounds of ground turkey products produced at its Springdale, Ark., facility on Aug. 23, 24, 30 and 31, 2011, due to possible contamination from Salmonella Heidelberg. This is the second recall of ground turkey products by Cargill, which issued a similar recall Aug. 3. Both recalls involve ground turkey products produced at the Arkansas facility.
Cargill has initiated the latest recall as a result of confirmed test sample taken by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) during a post-August 3 recall review of the processing facility. The test yielded low levels of the same Salmonella Heidelberg strain that appears to match the strain linked to human illnesses and death.
“Out of an abundance of caution, we are acting quickly in response to USDA’s sample testing,” said Steve Willardsen, president of Cargill’s turkey processing business, in a statement published on the company’s website. “Although there are no known illnesses associated with this positive sample, it is the same Salmonella Heidelberg strain that resulted in our voluntary recall on Aug. 3, 2011.As a result of this latest USDA test result, we have suspended ground turkey production at our Arkansas facility until additional measures can be identified, approved by USDA, then implemented, which is similar to the process we previously employed when working with the agency.”
Consumers should return affected products to stores where they were purchased for a full refund. This recall includes the following products:
Fresh ground turkey chubs
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) chubs of Fresh HEB Ground Turkey 85/15 (53858); Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/12/2011, 09/13/2011, 09/19/2011 and 09/20/2011
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) chubs of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Fresh Ground Turkey (55046); Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/19/2011, 09/20/2011 and 09/21/2011
Fresh ground turkey trays
- 19.2 oz. (1.2 lb.) trays of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Ground Turkey (50328); Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/10/2011 and 09/12/2011
- 48.0 oz. (3 lb.) trays of Kroger Ground Turkey Fresh 85/15 (53150); Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/17/2011, 09/18/2011 and 09/19/2011
- 48.0 oz. (3 lbs.) trays of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Ground Turkey Family Pack (53525); Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/11/2011, 09/12/2011, 09/13/2011, 09/15/2011, 09/17/2011 and 09/18/2011
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) trays of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Ground Turkey (55093); Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/11/2011
Fresh ground turkey patties
- 16.0 oz. (1 lb.) trays of Honeysuckle White Ground Turkey Patties (50920); Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/18/2011
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) trays of Kroger Ground Seasoned Turkey Patties Fresh 85/15 (53147); Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/17/2011
For more information, visit www.cargill.com/turkey-recall. Consumers with questions about recalled ground turkey products may contact Cargill’s consumer relations toll free telephone number (1-888-812-1646).