Rich Products Corp. has announced a voluntary recall of its Farm Rich Mini Quesadillas, Farm Rich Mini Pizza Slices, Farm Rich Philly Cheese Steaks, Farm Rich Mozzarella Bites and Market Day Mozzarella Bites. The recall involved 192,222 pounds of products distributed in retail stores nationwide.
The products were recalled after one person became ill after eating the products. A test of food samples revealed the possible presence of E. coli. Twenty-four cases of illnesses related to the products have now been reported in 15 states.
Rich Products Corp. is working in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to determine the possible source of contamination. There are six known strains of E. coli banned in 2011 from the U.S. meat supply. These are known as non-0157 Shiga toxin-producing E. coli. The strain connected with this recall is E. coli 0121.
Prior to the identification and targeting of what are known as the “big six” strains, most regulation was focused on E. coli 0157. However, officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say vigilant testing and product recalls have helped significantly reduce the risk of that strain.
Like E. coli 0157, the six new strains can produce similar symptoms such as bloody diarrhea, and lead to kidney failure and death. The strain linked to the recalled products is E. coli 0121, one of the big six.
The following products are subject to the recall:
* 7.2-oz. cartons of Farm Rich mini pizza slices with cheese pepperoni and sauce in pizza dough, UPC code 041322376909 with a best by date of May 15 or May 16, 2014.
* 22-oz. cartons of Farm Rich mini pizza slices with cheese pepperoni and sauce in pizza dough, UPC code 041322356437 with a best by date of May 15 or May 16, 2014.
* 18-oz. bags of Farm Rich mini quesadillas with cheese, grilled white meat chicken in a crispy crust, UPC code 041322356352 with a best by date of May 14, 2014.
* 21-oz. bags of Farm Rich philly cheese steaks with cheese, beef & onions in a crispy crust, UPC code 041322356345 with a best by date of May 13, 2014.
* 22-oz. cartons of Farm Rich mozzarella bites in a pizzeria style crust, UPC code 041322374431 with a best by date of May 19, 2014.
* 7-oz. cartons of Farm Rich mozzarella bites in a pizzeria style crust, UPC code 041322376916 with a best by date of May 19, 2014.
* 22-oz. bags of Market Day Mozzarella Bites, UPC code 041322804358 with a best by date of May 12, 2014.
Each product package above contains the establishment number “EST. 27232” or “P-27232” inside the USDA mark of inspection.
For more information, consumers may call 1-888-220-5955.