At least 89 people have become ill with nausea and cramps after eating Chobani Greek yogurt products, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned.
The company last week issued a recall and told grocery stores to destroy 35 varieties of its yogurt because some of the products were contaminated with a mold that can cause the yogurt cups to bloat and swell. The mold, known as mucor circinelloides, is associated with diary products but is not known to cause any health issues, at least for healthy individuals. Those with compromised immune systems may be more apt to fall ill after consuming it, the company said in a statement.
To date, no official link has been made between the tainted yogurt and the illnesses.
Affected Chobani Greek yogurt products have the code 16-012 imprinted on them with the expiration dates between Sept. 11 and Oct. 7, 2013. The recalled yogurt products were distributed from Chobani’s plant in Twin Falls, Idaho.
“We won’t sugar coat it – this type of mold is not pleasant,” the company’s statement read. The organism is, in fact, regularly used for the production of natural flavor compounds that are widely used in the food industry. Yogurt is made by adding bacteria to heated milk.