The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recently announced that Meijer, Inc., of Grand Rapids, Mich., has agreed to pay a $2 million civil penalty to settle charges accusing the company of knowingly selling and distributing 12 different recalled consumer products.
Between April 2010 and April 2011, around 1,700 units of recalled consumer products were resold to customers. The sale or distribution in commerce of a consumer product that is subject to voluntary correction action, such as a recall, that has been publicly announced and advised by the CPSC is against federal law.
Meijer distributed the recalled products through a third party contractor system, but it has been accused of receiving information about the recalled products by the contractor and failing to take action to prevent the distribution. In response to these allegations, Meijer has agreed to pay the monetary penalty of $2 million as well as implement and maintain a reverse logistics compliance program. This program is designed to ensure that the company does not violate federal laws regarding recalled products in the future.
Despite the fact that Meijer agreed to the terms of the settlement, the company neither admits nor denies the allegations against it and has yet to receive any reports of injuries relating to the recalled items.
The recalled products include:
- Discovery Kids Animated Marine and Safari Lamps imported by Innovage LLC
- SlingRider Baby Slings manufactured by Infantino
- Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaners with Cord Rewind Feature imported by Hoover Inc
- Fisher-Price Trikes and Tough Trikes toddler tricycles manufactured by Fisher-Price
- Little People Wheelies Stand ‘n Play Rampways imported by Fisher Price
- Ocean Wonders Kick & Crawl Aquariums imported by Fisher-Price
- Bathtub Subs imported by Munchkin, Inc.
- Refreshing Rings Infant Teethers/Rattles imported by Sassy
- Touch Point Oscillating Ceramic Heater
- Harmony High Chair manufactured by Graco Children’s Products
- Random Orbit Sander manufactured by Black & Decker
- Box Fans manufactured by Lasko