A Minneapolis woman who was hospitalized twice with complications from a severe Salmonella infection after she ate at a Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant is suing the restaurant chain for damages stemming from her personal injuries.
KMSP reports that April Beck, a resident of Minneapolis, was taken to the hospital with severe abdominal pain and diarrhea Aug. 23 after eating at a Chipotle restaurant in downtown Minneapolis. She was admitted and treated with IV fluids for severe dehydration for more than a week before being released.
Ms. Beck was readmitted to the hospital again with blood clots in both of her arms and discharged again on Sept. 4, according to KMSP.
The Minnesota Department of Health confirmed that Ms. Beck was indeed infected by Salmonella Newport – the same strain that sickened at least 45 Chipotle customers statewide in August. The majority of those sickened who were interviewed by state health authorities reported having eaten at one of the 17 Chipotle locations in Minnesota.
Ms. Beck filed a lawsuit against Chipotle in U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota for strict liability, breach of warranty, negligence, and negligence per se. According to her complaint, the Chipotle restaurant chain had the responsibility to serve food fit for human consumption and that “Salmonella contaminated food” failed to fit that description.
The restaurant should have used ingredients “free from adulteration, and safe for human consumption, but it failed to do so, and was therefore negligent,” the lawsuit contends, adding that Chipotle failed to comply with health and safety laws.
Ms. Beck seeks compensation for lost pay and wages, prejudgment interest, legal fees and any additional judgement and relief that the court deems “just and equitable.”