A Florida man is suing the maker of his electronic cigarette and the company who sold it to him after he suffered serious burns on his face, neck and lungs when his e-cigarette exploded.
Evan Spahlinger says he purchased the “Rig Mod V.2” e-cigarette from the Vaping Station in Naples, Fla., in July. Three months later, the e-cigarette burst into flames while he was using it, causing him to inhale fire, smoke and scorching hot air, which inflamed his esophagus and lungs. He was put into a medically induced coma to recover from his injuries.
Spahlinger’s lawsuit is targeting the San Diego-based manufacturer VapeAMP and the Vaping Station store. His lawsuit claims that the companies billed the devices as safer alternatives to cigarette smoking. However, Spahlinger was left with permanent injuries and “unimaginable mental anguish,” his lawsuit claims.
E-cigarettes are battery-operated devices designed to deliver nicotine with flavorings and other chemicals to users through a hot vapor delivery system instead of smoke. More than 250 e-cigarette brands are currently on the market and have become increasingly popular in recent years with increasing bans and public discouragement of the use of tobacco products. E-cigarettes are often promoted as safer than tobacco products, though health officials say there is insufficient information available to make those claims.
In recent years, concerns have also been raised about fire risks with e-cigarettes, prompting the U.S. Department of Transportation to ban e-cigarettes from checked bags on airplanes.
Source: Miami Herald