Chipotle Mexican Grill has been hit by two lawsuits filed by people who were sickened during multiple food poisoning outbreaks at the restaurants across the country in recent months.
Kelly Aherns filed a lawsuit in Minnesota when she became infected with salmonella after eating at a Chipotle in August. She claims her symptoms were so severe that she became dehydrated and needed emergency medical attention. That outbreak, linked to salmonella-tainted tomatoes, sickened 64 people in Minnesota.
Haley Hadlock filed a lawsuit in Oklahoma after she developed a rare strain of E.coli that produces Shiga toxins three days after eating at a Chipotle restaurant in November. She claims that her health deteriorated to the point that she began to fear for her life. E.coli can cause bloody diarrhea.
Hadlock was sickened during a smaller outbreak of E.coli, which infected at least five people in Oklahoma, Kansas, and North Dakota. The larger outbreak sickened about 55 customers in about a dozen states including Washington and Oregon.
Chipotle restaurants have also been linked to outbreaks of norovirus at Boston College earlier this year, and at a single restaurant in California last August during which 207 people fell ill. That outbreak is currently under investigation by Ventura County environmental health officials and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
The lawsuits come just days after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced that the its investigation into the E.coli outbreaks at Chipotle restaurants did not identify a cause, but officials deemed the outbreak over.
Source: Law 360