A 13-year-Utah old girl is recovering from burn injuries to her face and hands after an e-cigarette exploded in her face.
Arianna Anderson of Sunset, Utah, told Fox 13 News Utah that she was curious to try her 16-year-old brother’s e-cigarette. The teen put a battery inside the device, then “twisted it back on and was getting ready to push the button” when it exploded.
Ms. Anderson’s mother told Fox 13 News that her daughter ran to her screaming, covered in blood and black soot. “I thought I was dreaming. I’d ever seen something so horrid,” Amanda Lee Anderson told Fox News 13.
The teen was rushed to the hospital and is undergoing treatment for her burn injuries. Her physicians said that there is an 80 percent chance she will heal sufficiently without having to undergo reconstructive surgery.
Federal safety and regulators and other critics of e-cigarettes have rebuked manufacturers of the devices for making them appealing to teens and adolescents. E-juice companies make nicotine-laden liquids for e-cigarettes in a multitude of flavors such as cotton candy, peach taffy, cookies, donuts, and bubble gum, to name a few of the flavors many adolescents find enticing.
“The satisfaction of the nicotine, or the many available flavors they offer to make it so enticing to the adolescents, it’s absolutely not worth it,” Anderson’s mother told Fox News 13.
More than 3 million middle- and high school students were current users of e-cigarettes in 2015, up from an estimated 2.46 million in 2014, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Sixteen percent of high school students and 5.3 percent of middle school students were current users of e-cigarettes in 2015, making e-cigarettes the most commonly used tobacco product among youth for the second consecutive year, the agency said.
In May, the FDA announced a series of new regulations, most of which are aimed at keeping e-cigarettes out the hands of teens younger than 18. The new regulations take effect on August 8.