A Samsung Note 7 smartphone exploded in a Brooklyn child’s hands over the weekend, leaving him with burn injuries and a fear of other electronic devices.
According to the New York Post, the 6-year-old boy was using one of Samsung’s recalled Note 7 phones at his East Flatbush home Saturday, Sept. 10, when it exploded and caught fire.
“The child was watching videos on the phone when the battery exploded,” Linda Lewis, the boy’s grandmother, told the New York Post, adding that the incident set off the smoke alarms in her house.
The family called 911 around 8 p.m. Saturday night and the boy was rushed to Downstate Medical Center with burns on his hand and body.
The boy’s family has been in contact with Samsung about the incident, but family members declined to comment any further. The boy was treated for his injuries and is now at home.
Although there have been dozens of reports of Samsung’s newly released Note 7 smartphones exploding and bursting into flames, the Brooklyn boy could be the first person with serious injury reported in connection with the devices.
Samsung recalled all of its Note 7 phones Sept. 2 as reports of explosions and fires mounted. The device had been on the market just two weeks when the Korean electronics manufacturer issued the recall of the 2.5 million devices it had sold.
Tech analyst Rob Enderle told USA Today that the Note 7 problems may be irreparable. “There is no way to recover this version of the phone … Samsung has a huge black eye,” he said, adding that Samsung “might be forced to ‘kill’ the Note 7, and skip to the next version, Note 8” according to USA Today.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission last week warned the public to stop using and charging the phones. The Federal Aviation Administration also advised air travelers to refrain from turn on or charging the phones and to avoid stowing the devices in checked luggage.