Personal Injury

E-Cigarette Blast Leaves Idaho Man With Severe Facial Injuries

vaping e cigarette close up shutterstock 369589925 326x210 E Cigarette Blast Leaves Idaho Man With Severe Facial InjuriesAn Idaho man who suffered severe facial injuries when his e-cigarette exploded in his face posted pictures on social media of himself in the hospital to raise awareness about the unexpected risks of using e-cigarettes.

Andrew Hall of Pocatallo, Idaho, said on a Facebook post Jan. 15 that he had followed the e-cigarette manufacturer’s instructions for the device, but that didn’t stop it from blowing up in his face. Now, as he recovers in ICU, he wants others who use e-cigarettes to see what can potentially happen. His Facebook post reads:

“I was getting ready for work when I had something happen to me that I didn’t expect possible. I’m currently in the ICU and doing well so rest assured and these are very graphic photos,” Mr. Hall said.

“I [use e-cigarettes] (I know, terrible and uncool) but I no longer do and I hope to possibly sway those that do to maybe reevaluate or find other methods of smoking.

“I’ve been doing this for about a year now and assure you I did not do anything I wasn’t supposed to (battery was in right, always had the shop put it together when I first bought it and add things and maintain it the right way while taking their advice) but it exploded in my face.

“I’ve lost at least 7 teeth, 2nd degree burns to face and neck and have been pulling chunks of plastic, teeth and foreign objects from mouth, throat and lips.

“I was lucky and they’re was a huge amount of damage to the room in my house I was in as well. Please feel free to share my story and take care.

“I just want to bring to light this is possible that they can explode without warning. I would have said ‘no way that’s possible’ until now,” he wrote.

Mr. Hall said on a Jan. 16 post that he remains in the hospital, and added more pictures of the bathroom he was in when the e-cigarette blew up. “The torch marks are on the wall and roof are continuations from my face,” he wrote. Pictures show that the explosion was strong enough to break a large section of his bathroom sink off.

Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, which are used to power e-cigs and similar devices, are the main cause behind the explosions. Lithium-ion batteries can last longer without being recharged, but they can easily overheat, burst into flames, and explode if poorly designed or manufactured, damaged, used improperly, or stored with other metal objects. However, some users injured by exploding e-cigs including Mr. Hall say they used the devices properly and there was no indication anything was wrong with the battery.

Source: Facebook.com