Sargento Foods Inc., an American food producer popular for its wide selection of cheese products, has announced a recall of specialty Longhorn Colby cheese due to potential exposure to Listeria monocytogenes. Listeria monocytogenes are responsible for causing serious and sometimes fatal infections in both young children and frail or elderly adults, especially those with weakened immune systems.
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the cheese supplier Deutsche Kase Haus LLC notified the Sargento earlier this year, prompting the company to recall not only the aforementioned cheese, but also any cheese packaged on the same production line.
The following Sargento products are now under recall and should not be consumed:
- Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Longhorn Colby, 6.84 oz., UPC 4610000228, with “Sell By” dates of “12APR17B” and “10MAY17B”
- Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040041, with “Sell By” dates of “H14JUN17” and “H12JUL17”
- Sargento Sliced Colby-Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000109 with “Sell By” date of “11JUN17B”
- Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000108 with “Sell By” dates of “12JUN17B”, “09JUL17B” and “10JUL17B”
- Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040002 with “Sell By” dates of “H14JUN17”, “F28JUN17” and “D28JUN17”
- Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Colby-Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040014 with “Sell By” date of “F05JUL17”
- Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Cheddar Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040076 with “Sell By” date of “F05JUL17”
All of the recalled Sargento products were manufactured in the company’s Plymouth, Wisconsin, facility. Sargento is currently unaware of any illnesses or deaths linked to the cheese recall, nor are any more of its products affected by this announcement.
For more information on the Sargento recall, visit Sargento’s website at www.info.sargento.com and choose its “Product Check” tool. You may also call Sargento Consumer Affairs at 800-243-3737 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. CST, or submit questions to the company’s “Contact Us” webpage.