Personal Injury

E-Cigarette Explosion Sends Paris, Texas Man To Hospital With Facial Burns

vaping e cigarette man vaping shutterstock 311126057 303x210 E Cigarette Explosion Sends Paris, Texas Man To Hospital With Facial BurnsA Paris, Texas, man was rushed to the emergency room with burn injuries to his face after an e-cigarette exploded in his home Monday, Feb. 21.

Paris Fire Department Chief Larry Wright told the press that the explosion also set off a small fire on the floor of the house, which firefighters were able to contain before it spread.

The injured man was not identified, but local reports said that the 19-year-old e-cigarette user sustained burn injuries to his face and left hand. He was admitted to Paris Regional Medical Center for treatment and is listed in stable condition.

“These exploding e-cigarettes are all too common,” Chief Wright told eParis Extra, echoing the concerns of emergency workers and medical professionals across the country, who just three years ago likely would have never seen or heard of an e-cigarette explosion.

These days, however, patients with severe burns and other serious injuries caused by exploding e-cigarettes and similar devices have become common in hospitals throughout the U.S. as the popularity of e-cigarettes soars.

Last month, for instance, Dr. Kevin Foster of the Arizona Burn Center told Fox10 Phoenix that prior to 2016, the burn center had no reports of e-cigarette related burn injuries. But there was a drastic change in 2016, when the burn center treated 50 separate cases, about one per week.

“Besides burn injury, experts say those impacted also suffered traumatic injury from the explosion, and possibly chemical injuries from the chemicals inside the battery, considered by Foster to be the culprit,” Fox10 Phoenix reported.

Sources:
eParisExtra
KXII News 12 Paris
Righting Injustice