Personal Injury

Driver In Deadly Texas Church Bus Crash Left Lane At Least 56 Times

texting Driver In Deadly Texas Church Bus Crash Left Lane At Least 56 TimesA new report on the church bus crash that killed 13 people on a Texas highway March 29 found the pickup truck driver who caused the crash crossed the center line 19 times and veered off onto the shoulder 37 times.

In a preliminary report on the crash published May 4, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) cites a 14-minute video taken by witnesses prior to the crash in establishing the pickup truck driver’s reckless driving.

The report says the video shows the pickup driver, who was previously identified by other sources as 20-year-old Jack Dillon Young, cross completely over into the opposite lane once and onto the grass off the highway’s shoulder at least five times.

Mr. Young was driving north on U.S. Highway 183 in Uvalde and Real Counties, maintaining a speed of 68-71 mph, the NTSB said. The posted speed limit on the highway is 70 mph.

At 12:20 p.m. local time, he veered into the southbound lane, colliding head-on with an Econoline 350 van that had been converted into a bus. The collision killed 13 members of New Braunfels Baptist Church who were returning home from a retreat. Only one occupant of the bus survived with serious injuries.

At least three calls were made to 911 to report the pickup truck driving dangerously. Real County officers were out looking for the vehicle when the crash occurred.

After the crash, Mr. Young told witnesses and the police that he had been texting. He also provided a statement during an NTSB interview that he was checking his phone for a text when the accident occurred.

The NTSB said it has subpoenaed Mr. Young’s cell phone records from his service provider and will review them over the coming weeks.

Additionally, Mr. Young also told NTSB investigators he had been taking prescription medications prior to the crash. Several of those medications, as well as marijuana, were found in his 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 at the scene of the crash. Toxicology test results are pending.

Mr. Young spent six days in the hospital after the crash. He has not yet been charged.