Reports of children swallowing pieces of fidget spinners and ending up in hospitals has prompted an investigation by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), according to Law360.
“We advise parents to keep these away from young children because they can choke on small parts, and warn older children not to put fidget spinners in their mouths,” CPSC spokesperson Patty Davis said.
Fidget spinners are promoted as stress relievers or distraction tools for people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The spinning toys have at least three blades with weights on the ends and a center bearing. The pieces of the small device can come loose and have caused injuries to children.
A 10-year-old Texas girl and a 5-year-old Oregon boy were sent to the hospital after swallowing part of their fidget spinners. Doctors had to go into the girl’s throat to retrieve the bearing from her spinner. The boy had to undergo surgery to have his fidget piece removed. The issue prompted the boy’s mother to team up with a leading child safety advocate and call for the recall of fidget spinners and for mandatory choking hazard warnings be added to the toy’s label.
Another report of injury involves a 3-year-old boy who got his finger stuck in the hole of a fidget spinner that had lost a weighted bearing. Emergency room doctors had to remove the toy, which left lacerations on his finger.
Despite the warnings and injuries, various fidget spinners are ranked in the top 10 of Amazon.com’s most popular toys. Many schools have already issued bans on the gadgets not for the injuries they may cause, but because they are distracting kids.