The family of a man trapped and burned to death in a kiln has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against his employer.
According to KSLA News, Arturo Gonzales entered a 300-foot kiln at Marshall Pottery for maintenance on April 16. When an automated system suddenly closed the doors and heated up the kiln, Gonzales was burned up inside.
Just two days later, OSHA opened an investigation into Gonzales’ death.
“It’s our hope that what we’re going to do is shed a great deal of light on what this industry is supposed to have to make sure that individuals such as the Gonzales family never in the future have to endure such a tragic loss,” the plaintiffs’ attorney told the news outlet. “You uncover every rock that’s out there and you let your opponent, the defendant in this case, understand that you will not stop. You’ll bring every talent you have to bear and every resource you have to bear until justice is served.”
The family of Gonzales is suing Marshall Pottery for negligence and gross negligence, claiming the plant is directly responsible for not providing a safe environment in which Gonzales could to work. The lawsuit also alleges the plant didn’t supervise their employees properly and failed to install on the kiln necessary emergency kill switches, all of which could have prevented his death.
“Without question,” the plantiffs’ attorney said, “there were numerous safeguards that should have been in place at the Marshall Pottery but for those safeguards being there, this tragedy would have never occurred.”