Personal Injury

Man ‘Lucky to be Alive’ After E-Cigarette Explosion

vaping e cigarette close up shutterstock 369589925 326x210 Man Lucky to be Alive After E Cigarette ExplosionA UK dad told reporters he is “lucky to be alive” after an e-cigarette stashed in his pocket exploded and set his clothes on fire.

According to the South Wales Argus, Nathan Davies of Abergavenny, Wales, was driving with a friend last week when his e-cigarette burst into flames inside his pocket, causing the bottoms of his tracksuit to become engulfed in fire.

Mr. Davies described the incident, telling the Argus that the e-cigarette “went off like a rocket.”

“It just blew up, I haven’t got a clue why,” he told the Argus.

Fortunately Mr. Davies’ friend had the good sense to rush to a hospital in his home city while Mr. Davie tried to extinguish the flames with his hands.

According to the Argus, Mr. Davies has since been transferred to the burn care unit at Morriston Hospital in Swansea. He remains there undergoing treatment for burn injuries to his legs and hands. Pictures posted by the Argus show Mr. Davies’ charred hand wrapped in a plastic bag.

“It was horrid. I have never experienced pain like that in my life,” Mr. Davies told the Argus, describing his burn injuries and the excruciating treatments he must undergo to ensure infection doesn’t set into the broad burn wounds and that the skin can heal as normally as possible.

Mr. Davies told the Argus that he will not be using his e-cigarette again. He said he took up using e-cigarettes a couple years ago after he gave up smoking for his two children.

Nearly all e-cigarette explosions and fires stem from the rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that power the devices. These batteries are made in China and can easily explode or overheat and catch fire if they are overcharged, improperly manufactured, damaged, misused, or stored with other metal objects. In other words, the batteries are highly volatile and anyone who uses an e-cigarette should be mindful of the battery’s potential to malfunction.