Personal Injury

Woman’s Hand Seriously Injured After Mistaking a Firework for a Candle

fireworks sparkler Pixabay 315x210 Womans Hand Seriously Injured After Mistaking a Firework for a CandleA woman seriously injured her hand after attempting to light a firework, which she thought to be a candle.

The 30-year-old woman from Woodstock, Illinois, was at a gathering of friends in Antioch when she spotted a red, white and blue “candle.” She picked it up, lit the fuse, and it exploded in her hand.

According to the Chicago Tribune, the firework was the size of a quarter stick of dynamite.

“She lit what she believed was the candle and held it in her hand. The firework then exploded causing the serious injury to her hand,” Sgt. Chris Covelli of the Lake County Sheriff’s Office wrote in a news release.

A “quarter stick” firework contains about 25-30 grams of explosive mixture, says the website of ATF, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. The website warns that this kind of firework, also known as an M-1000, can cause extremely severe bodily injury, and has caused death.

The police investigation discovered that Justin Kennedy, 28, who is also from Woodstock, brought the firework and left it unattended.

When emergency responders arrived on site, the woman was found to have serious injuries to her hand. Two additional people were injured – a child and an adult – who were treated by paramedics at the home.

The woman was rushed to a local hospital for immediate treatment. Kennedy was arrested on suspicion of reckless endangerment, as well as endangering the health and life of a child.

The Consumer Products Safety Commission and its National Electronic Injury Surveillance System published a report saying that between July 18, 2015, and July 18, 2016, there were 11,000 firework-related injuries. Of that number, 7,600 required hospital treatment, and four of them resulted in death.