A Wisconsin woman who suffered severe burn injuries when an e-cigarette exploded in her pants pocket is suing the vape shop that sold her the device, the distributor of the allegedly faulty device, and the manufacturer of the lithium-ion batteries that caused the blast.
The Madison County Record reports that plaintiff Audra Buckley says she bought an e-cigarette with two mini lithium-ion batteries from Green Forest Vapor Shop in Waterloo, Wisconsin on Jan. 4, 2017. The lithium-ion batteries, she claims, were unreasonably dangerous because they exploded in her pocket.
The exploding lithium-ion batteries left her with burn injuries on her hips, thighs and buttocks, her lawsuit alleges.
In addition to Green Forest Vapor Shop, Ms. Buckley is suing Liion Wholesale Batteries, which her lawsuit claims made the batteries, according to The Madison County Record, and Kanvape LLC, the wholesale distributor of the e-cigarette she bought.
Ms. Buckley’s lawsuit alleges the lithium-ion batteries that powered the e-cigarette were unreasonably dangerous because they spontaneously exploded in her pocket and set her pants on fire. She also alleges the defendants were aware of the allegedly defective lithium-ion batteries and stopped selling them, The Madison County Record reports.
Green Forest disputes the allegations and claims that the plaintiff “failed to exercise reasonable care and diligence to mitigate, minimize, or avoid the alleged damages.”
The vape shop also asserts that Ms. Buckley’s injuries “were caused by abnormal use, misuse and abuse of any products at issue,” according to The Madison County Record.