A firefighter who sued Cook Inc., over claims that its blood clot-catching device malfunctioned inside his body and perforated his heart and intestines was awarded $1.2 million by a Texas jury, after jurors found that Cook didn’t properly warn doctors about the device’s risks.
Jeff Pavlock was implanted with a Cook Celect IVC filter in March 2015. The tiny, cage-like device is implanted in the inferior vena cava, a large vein that delivers deoxygenated blood from the lower extremities to the heart. IVC filters are intended to catch blood clots before they reach the heart and then lungs, which can cause serious health complications such as pulmonary embolism.
Pavlock claims that his Cook Celect IVC filter tilted within his inferior vena cava and perforated his aorta and duodenum, which required medical attention. Pavlock underwent surgery in April and June 2015 to remove the wayward filter, but surgeons were unable to retrieve the device.
The jury agreed that that Cook knew or should have known that its Celect IVC filter had a high rate of fracture, migration and excessive tilting and perforation of the vena cava wall. According to Law360, Pavlock was awarded “$50,000 for past physical pain and mental anguish, $100,000 for future physical pain and mental anguish, $160,000 for future loss of earnings, $100,000 for past disfigurement, $100,000 for future disfigurement, $93,000 for future medical expenses, for a total of $1,240,500.”
Pavlov’s case is one of thousands centralized in a multidistrict litigation in Indiana accusing Cook for not adequately warning of risks with its device. C.R. Bard, another IVC filter manufacturer, faces similar lawsuits in a separate multidistrict litigation centralized in Arizona.