A Utah teen who was electrocuted while working with a tree removal company in Salt Lake City may have to undergo a limb amputation, his family said.
Seventeen-year-old Jared Hernandez was on the job with a tree removal crew Friday, Aug. 3, when he noticed a fire had broken out next to the crane the crew was using to remove a tree, a GoFundMe page set up to help cover his medical bills said.
The teen tried to warn the men in the crane but they couldn’t hear him, so he decided to climb onto the crane to warn them, not realizing that the machine had made contact with a high-voltage power line, which caused the fire to break out.
Because the entire crane had become energized, Jared was unable to pull himself away and was severely electrocuted. People at the scene administered CPR until paramedics arrived. He was then rushed to the University of Utah’s burn unit in “extremely critical condition,” the GoFundMe page says.
The following day, Jared’s mother told News4Utah that he wasn’t breathing on his own and might have to undergo a foot amputation due to his injuries.
“We don’t know the extent of his injuries yet, but he will undoubtedly be impacted for the rest of his life. Currently at minimum he will likely face amputation of one of his feet. He will be in need of long-term medical care and a lengthy rehabilitation.
“We don’t know when he’s going to start breathing on his own. We don’t know what’s going to happen. There’s a bunch of ifs, and seeing your child like that it breaks your heart. I don’t wish any of it to any mother,” Ms. Hernandez told Utah’s KSL.com.
The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is investigating the accident.