An electric space heater manufacturer joined federal safety regulators in re-announcing the recall of thousands of electric space heater fans after a Minnesota man died of burn injuries he sustained in a December 2017 house fire.
Vornado LLC of Andover, Kansas, originally recalled about 350,000 VH101 Personal Vortex electric space heaters in April over the risk of fire and burn injuries. On Aug. 22, the company re-announced the recall after the Minnesota death was linked to one of the space heaters.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the recalled space heaters “can overheat when in use, posing fire and burn hazards.”
This Vornado VH101 Personal Vortex electric space heaters were made in China and sold in a variety of colors. The heaters have two heat settings, low and high, and a fan-only/no-heat setting. “Vornado” with a “V” behind it is printed on the front of the recalled units. The model/type “VH101,” serial number and ETL mark are printed on a silver rating label on the bottom of the unit.
Retailers that sold the space heaters include Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot, Menards, Orchard Supply, Target, and online at Amazon.com, Target.com, and Vornado.com, in addition to several other stores and websites. The space heaters were sold from August 2009 through March 2018 for about $30.
Dr. George C. Dorsey Jr., 90, a World War II veteran, medical doctor, and father of 10 children, died from complications from burn injuries he suffered when his home in a Chanhassen, Minnesota assisted living complex caught on fire due to a Vornado space heater’s malfunction, according to the Minneapolis StarTribune.
Dr. Dorsey’s death was the only one linked to the Vornado space heaters, but the company had received 19 reports of the heaters catching on fire before it recalled them last April.
Consumers are advised to immediately stop using the space heaters and contact Vornado toll-free at 855-215-5131 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday or online at www.vornado.com/recalls for more information and instructions.