Representatives of two deceased industry workers are suing several manufacturers alleging they companies were negligent in exposing workers to asbestos with asbestos-containing products they sold or manufactured, and failed to warn of the risks of asbestos exposure. As a result, both men were diagnosed with lung cancer and died shortly thereafter. Both lawsuits were filed last month in the St. Clair (Illinois) County Circuit Court.
Donald Files claimed he inhaled or ingested asbestos fibers through his work as a pipefitter and, as a result, in 2015 was diagnosed with lung cancer and died two years later. His case is represented by Rita Haney and names as defendants several manufacturers including Bechtel Corporation, Chicago Bridge & Iron Company, and the Coca-Cola Company.
Vernon Hughes claimed he was exposed to asbestos while working with asbestos-containing products as a welder. He was diagnosed with lung cancer earlier this year and died in April. His wife, Doris Hughes, filed a lawsuit against several companies including BP Products North America, Cooper Crouse-Hinds and United States Steel Company.
Asbestos is a durable, fire-resistant mineral that was widely used in various building materials like insulation and pipes, friction products like brakes and clutches, and shipbuilding materials. Its use declined in the 1980s after the federal and state regulations limited the use of asbestos because it is a known carcinogen.
Asbestos exposure can cause serious health problems including the incurable lung disease asbestosis, lung cancer, and mesothelioma, a rare but deadly type of cancer that forms in the lining of the lungs, abdomen, and heart. Asbestos cancer can take years to decades to emerge. Once diagnosed, prognosis is poor.
Source: Madison-St. Clair Record