Personal Injury

Helicopter Crash Kills Texas Newlyweds Departing Wedding

Bell 206 helicopter Helicopter Crash Kills Texas Newlyweds Departing WeddingU.S. and Texas authorities are investigating a helicopter crash that killed a newlywed couple early Sunday morning after their Saturday wedding.

William Troy Byler (“Will”) of Bellville, Texas, and Bailee Ackerman Byler of Orangefield, Texas, were just married when the helicopter in which they left their Oct. 3 wedding reception crashed in northwest Uvalde County, about 100 miles west of San Antonio.

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and the Texas Department of Public Safety are investigating the helicopter crash.

Both Will and Bailee were students at Sam Houston State University. Will was an Agricultural Engineering major and Bailee was majoring in Agricultural Communications, according to The Houstonian, the school newspaper of Sam Houston State. Both students were seniors.

Eric Smith, who attended the Saturday wedding, shared a Facebook post on Sunday about the helicopter crash.

“We celebrated their fairy tale wedding and they were surrounded by their family and friends as they flew off in the family helicopter. Sadly they crashed into the side of a hill about a mile from the family ranch.”

Mr. Smith said that “the pilot, Jerry, was also on board” and that nobody survived the helicopter crash.

The Uvalde County Sheriff’s Office announced the crash on Facebook, stating that it received a call from an aviation monitoring center of a possible downed aircraft in the northwestern part of the county. Sheriff’s Office Deputies and several other state and local agencies conducted a search of the area and discovered the helicopter crash site around daybreak.

The crash occurred in a remote area about 15 miles outside the city of Uvalde, according to the San Antonio Express-News. The NTSB said the helicopter that crashed was a Bell 206B.

Other sources:

People