Personal Injury

Family Blames Apple for Deadly iPad Fire

ipad Family Blames Apple for Deadly iPad FireThe family of a New Jersey man who died from severe burns in a fire allegedly caused by an iPad is suing Apple, alleging the device was “unreasonably dangerous and unsafe” due to defects in its design or manufacture or both.

Bradley Ireland, 64, of Parsippany, New Jersey, was severely burned on Feb. 22, 2017, when the lithium-ion battery pack in his Apple iPad exploded in the kitchen of his apartment, triggering a fire that ultimately led to his severe burn injuries and his death later the same day.

In their lawsuit, Mr. Ireland’s daughter Julia Ireland Meo and son Benjamin Ireland claim the iPad “was unreasonably dangerous and unsafe for its intended purpose by reasons of defects in its design and/or its manufacture and/or lack of adequate warnings” when Mr. Ireland bought the device.

“The fire was caused by a defect in the subject tablet, specifically affecting the tablet’s battery pack,” the lawsuit alleges.

The plaintiffs seek compensation from Apple for wrongful death, strict liability, and survival action. The latter charge is allowable under the New Jersey Survivor Act and seeks damages for the “significant pain and suffering” Mr. Ireland experienced between the onset of his burn injuries until his death later in the day.

The lawsuit seeks compensatory damages, attorneys’ fees and other costs associated with the complaint from Apple.

Although explosions and fires stemming from lithium-ion batteries and battery packs used to power Apple devices are rare, it’s not rare for the powerful rechargeable batteries to malfunction in other consumer devices, such as laptops, smartphones, hoverboards, e-cigarettes, and battery packs.

Other source: NJ.com