When Leonard Tierney was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma in May 2018, his friend suggested he talk to an attorney. It was his hunch that Tierney’s disease may have been caused by his exposure to the chemical glyphosate in the herbicide Roundup.
Tierney started a landscape, construction and maintenance business in 1999, and had employees do most of the construction work. His love was landscaping. He had returned to school to study horticulture, and enjoyed working in his clients’ yards. He swore by Roundup, strapping a backpack-style sprayer on when he treated yards. He remembered how the container would leak from time to time, dousing his back and face with herbicide. He never worried.
“I put it in my contracts with my clients, because we tried to be organic as we possibly could,” he said. “The only product I would use, when I’d speak to my clients, is Roundup because I was of the understanding that in UV light and sunlight, it broke down in 72 hours and became inert and was safe.”
But when Tierney’s friend suggested his cancer may have been caused by his exposure to Roundup, Tierney checked it out and found that several studies have suggested a link between glyphosate exposure and non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Even the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer classifies glyphosate – the actrive ingredient in Roundup – as a probable carcinogen.
Earlier this month, a University of Washington meta-analysis suggested a “compelling link” between exposures to glyphosate-based herbicides and increased risk for non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
Tierney and his wife filed a lawsuit against Monsanto – which was acquired by Bayer AG last year – in the U.S. District Court in Seattle, Washington. The Tierneys say that Monsanto knew that exposure to glyphosate posed cancer risks but failed to warn consumers.
“When we were first given the diagnosis, it just devastated us,” Tierney’s wife Christy said. “I’d love to see large warning signs, I’d love to see it put out there that even weekend users need to be careful with this, this is not a safe product.”
Source: Seattle PI