Personal Injury

Widow sues school district, company for husband’s electrocution death

electrical hazard sign Widow sues school district, company for husbands electrocution deathThe wife of an experienced electrician who was killed while performing electrical work at a Buffalo, New York-area high school in 2017, is suing both the school district and the company that managed the project claiming both parties failed to provide a safe workplace for her husband.

The lawsuit filed by Christy A. Gause, wife of now-deceased Charles Gause, names Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda Union Free School District and Campus Construction Management Group. Charles Gause was employed with CIR Electrical Construction Corp.

On Aug. 30, 2017, Gause was performing electrical work in an electrical closet at the high school that was usually off limits to staff and students, when he was exposed to an unguarded, energized electrical circuit, and electrocuted, the lawsuit states. He was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) conducted an investigation and determined that Gause had come in contact with live parts, which resulted in his electrocution, but neither Campus Construction Management nor CIR Electrical was cited for any violations.

According to the lawsuit, either Campus Construction Management or the school district should have de-energized the electrical circuit or put a guard around the circuit, which would have prevented Gause coming in contact with the live parts.

The school district issued a statement saying, “The district is fully cooperating with the investigation of this matter and remains committed to ensuring that work on district property is performed safely and in accordance with all applicable workplace standards.”

Source: Buffalo News