Latest News

Bus Driver Faces 33 Criminal Charges For Deadly Pennsylvania crash

A commercial bus driver faces 33 criminal charges in connection with a Pennsylvania bus crash that killed a 33-year-old Cornell graduate and injured a dozen others. Charles Dwight Dixon, 50, of Bronx, New York, was behind the wheel of the Big Red Bullet motor coach when it drove off the side of I-380 near Scranton and crashed in a wooded area. The impact killed Rebecca Blanco, a California transplant who last year graduated from Cornell University’s Johnson Graduate School of Management and lived in New York City. At least 14 people were on the bus at the time of the ... Read More

J&J expected to fight $4.69 billion talc verdict

Johnson & Johnson is expected to ask the Missouri Circuit Court in St. Louis City to undo or, at the very least, reduce a $4.69 billion verdict awarded to 22 women who accused the company’s talcum powder of being contaminated with asbestos and causing their ovarian cancer. But the women say the verdict should stand because the “vast majority of evidence” shows the company was aware its talc-containing products were dangerous but continued to sell the product without warning consumers. The Aug. 22 verdict includes $4.14 billion in punitive damages and $550 million in compensatory damages against Johnson & Johnson’s ... Read More

Texas man files lawsuit after getting sick from romaine lettuce

The first Texas lawsuit has emerged related to the romaine lettuce scare that has sickened dozens of people in 12 states due to E. coli contamination, according to the Southeast Texas Record. Brazos County resident Joe Stratta filed a lawsuit against Beef O’Brady’s Inc., and FSC Franchise Co. LLC, on Nov. 26, in the Houston Division of the Southern District of Texas, alleging the companies manufactured and sold contaminated romaine lettuce. Stratta ate the lettuce in a Caesar salad at a Beef O’Brady’s restaurant in Crestview, Florida. Four days later, he allegedly fell ill with symptoms including “watery diarrhea and ... Read More

Florida Man’s Harrowing Hang Gliding Flight Captured on Video

Florida resident Chris Gurksy’s hang gliding adventure in Switzerland turned into a terrifying ordeal the moment he realized the pilot forgot to attach his harness to the aircraft. For well over two minutes, Mr. Gursky had to clutch the metal hang glider bar, often with just one arm, as the aircraft sailed off the side of a 4,000-foot mountainside above the town of Interlaken. Mr. Gursky’s harrowing flight was captured on video, which went viral on YouTube and the international news. “My first time Hang Gliding turned into a near death experience as my safety harness was never hooked to ... Read More

Infants ibuprofen recalled due to higher concentration of medicine

Bottles of over-the-counter infant ibuprofen sold at CVS, Walmart and Family Dollar have been recalled because they contain concentrations of medicine that are too high and could be dangerous to young children, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said in a news release. The recall involves three lots of Infants’ Ibuprofen Concentrated Oral Suspension manufactured by Tris Pharma Inc. “There is a remote possibility that infants, who may be susceptible to a higher potency level of drug, and therefore may be more vulnerable to permanent NSAID-associated renal injury,” the agency said. Adverse events related to ingesting a higher dose of ... Read More

Smoldering E-Cigarette Triggers Boston Logan Airport Evacuation

A lithium-ion battery for an e-cigarette overheated inside a checked bag at Boston Logan International Airport, prompting an evacuation of a section of the busy airport and reminders from federal security agents that the batteries are prohibited in checked luggage. The smoldering e-cigarette battery was discovered on a busy Saturday morning after Thanksgiving when smoke began pouring from a suitcase inside the baggage screening room. According to NBC 10 Boston, the smoldering bag was discovered moments before it was loaded onto an airplane. Transportation Security Agents evacuated the baggage screening area and called in Massport Fire & Rescue and a ... Read More

Kratom products laced with ‘dangerous’ amounts of heavy metals

“Disturbingly” high levels of heavy metals that can be harmful to humans, like lead and nickel, have been found in more than two dozen different kratom products, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned. “While the levels of the specific products we’ve tested so far are not likely to result in immediate acute heavy metal poisoning from a single use, some of these products included levels that, with chronic use, could cause some people to suffer heavy metal poisoning,” FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D., said in a statement. The agency tested 26 different kratom products, and is concerned that there ... Read More

Colbert blames Purdue Pharma and its owners for worsening opioid epidemic

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert took a swipe at the family behind Big Pharma giant Purdue Pharma, blaming the company and its owners for what he described as its ruthless plan to increase profits by increasing the number of opioid addicts around the world. Colbert calls the opioid epidemic a problem that affects both political parties. “It does not discriminate,” he said. “And a lot of people blame big pharma. But only because it’s their fault.” National Safety Council reported that 80 percent of new heroin users started on the illicit drug after misusing prescription pain killers. It was ... Read More

Workers Suffer Amputation, Burn Injuries at Alabama Food Plant

Burn injuries and amputations are a couple occupational hazards that no workers should face in the workplace, yet two employees of a Pike County, Alabama food producer were hospitalized within a week of each other after being injured in separate accidents. In a Nov. 23 announcement, the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) said the workplace accidents occurred in the facilities of Southern Classic Food Group LLC. The Brundidge-based manufacturer produces a line of dressings, sauces, confections, beverages, and other products, including Dreamland “Bar-B-Que” sauce and Dale’s marinade. According to OSHA, on Thurs., Aug. 2, one employee suffered burn ... Read More

Amazon Warehouse Workers Injured In Bear Repellent Accident

Two dozen Amazon workers were taken to the hospital with respiratory injuries after a warehouse machine punctured a can of bear repellant, sending noxious fumes into a section of its Robbinsville, New Jersey facility. At least one of the injured Amazon workers in the 1.3-million-square-foot fulfillment center at the time of the incident was in critical condition. Most of those injured reported they had difficulty breathing, and burning in their eyes, throat, and chest. Someone from the New Jersey Amazon facility placed a 911 call on the morning of Wednesday, Dec. 5, reporting the incident. Emergency responders arriving at the ... Read More