Tagged Articles

burn injuries 118 articles

Workers Suffer Amputation, Burn Injuries at Alabama Food Plant

Burn injuries and amputations are a couple occupational hazards that no workers should face in the workplace, yet two employees of a Pike County, Alabama food producer were hospitalized within a week of each other after being injured in separate accidents. In a Nov. 23 announcement, the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) said the workplace accidents occurred in the facilities of Southern Classic Food Group LLC. The Brundidge-based manufacturer produces a line of dressings, sauces, confections, beverages, and other products, including Dreamland “Bar-B-Que” sauce and Dale’s marinade. According to OSHA, on Thurs., Aug. 2, one employee suffered burn ... Read More

E-Cigarette Blast Severely Burns California Toddler and Mom

California mom Paige Kadella heard a strange crackling sound coming from her purse as she was traveling in the backseat of her father-in-law’s car with her 18-month-old daughter Ashlynn. When she bent over to investigate, her purse was engulfed in flames. Her e-cigarette had exploded for unknown reasons and she seriously burned her hands as she frantically tried to put out the fire, screaming for her father-in-law to pull the car over. But Ashlynn, who was strapped into a car seat, suffered the worst injuries. The fire had spread from Ms. Kadella’s purse to her daughter’s car seat, leaving the ... Read More

UK Man Left With Severe Burn Injuries After E-Cigarette Explosion

An unexpected e-cigarette explosion inside the pants pocket of a U.K. man left him with horrific burn injuries and agonizing pain. Darren Wilson, a gas engineer and father of three, told the Liverpool Echo that he was busy remodeling his house when the e-cigarette explosion occurred. He said he had been standing by the kitchen door when sudden loud fizzing, sparking, and smoke made him think someone had thrown a firecracker into the doorway. “I looked down and my pocket was going off like a banger; it was fizzing and sparking and all smoke was coming from it,” Mr. Wilson, ... Read More

Panda Express Worker Suffers Burn Injuries in Kitchen Explosion

A worker suffered burn injuries in a suspected gas explosion in the kitchen of a Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Panda Express restaurant Nov. 5. Hawaii Fire Department Battalion Chief John Whitman told West Hawaii Today that the injured worker was taken to Kona Community Hospital for treatment of her burn injuries. A second person was also injured in the explosion, but the nature and extent of the injuries is unclear. The injured Panda Express worker told responders that she smelled gas after a rice cooker dropped on the floor in the kitchen area of the restaurant. When she bent down to pick ... Read More

One in Five Pediatric Scald Burns Caused by Instant Soup

More than 20 percent of pediatric scald burns in the U.S. are caused by instant soup, ramen noodle soup, and similar soup products, according to a new study presented Nov. 2 at the American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference. Dr. Courtney Allen, a pediatric emergency fellow at Emory University who led the research, told CNN that it’s important for parents to remember that while instant soup is quick, easy and convenient, “these are just thin containers with boiling water in them.” For the study, Dr. Allen and her fellow researchers looked at 4,500 pediatric scald burns recorded over an 11-year ... Read More

Toddler Suffers Burn Injuries From Pressure Cooker Accident

An Idaho toddler is recovering from severe burn injuries he suffered when the contents of a pressure cooker erupted, showering him with scalding hot liquid and food. Two-year-old Chayse Bodily was in the kitchen with his mother Angela Bodily the evening of Sept. 9 as she was about to put the finishing touches on Sunday dinner. She told the Twin Falls Times-News that she released the pressure from the pressure cooker and removed the lid to add some potatoes to a roast that was nearly done. Without warning, a bubble that was trapped under the roast shot the contents to ... Read More

Judge Finds Amazon Not Liable For Hoverboard House Fire

A Georgia man who was severely burned and lost his home to a fire triggered by a Chinese-made hoverboard had his lawsuit against Amazon and several other companies dismissed by a federal judge, who said the plaintiff failed to provide sufficient evidence that Amazon knew the device it sold was unsafe. Chief Judge Thomas Thrash Jr. of the Northern District of Georgia responded favorably to Amazon’s motion to dismiss the lawsuit – a decision that lawyers for plaintiff Irvin Love Jr. said came before any factual discovery could be conducted into what and when Amazon knew about the defective hoverboard ... Read More

Fryer Explosion in Maine Restaurant Leaves Workers With Burn Injuries

Two workers suffered serious burn injuries when a propane-powered deep fryer exploded in the kitchen of a popular southern Maine restaurant Oct. 11. The accident occurred just before 11 a.m. in the kitchen of Rick’s All Seasons Restaurant in York, Maine, when the fryolator suddenly burst into “a ball of fire,” according to Seacoast Online. A sprinkler system quickly put out the fire, but the explosion and hot oil left employees BreeAnne McDowell and Marianne Porter with serious burn injuries. According to Seacoast Online and the Bangor Daily News, York Village Fire Department Chief Chris Balentine said one of the employees ... Read More

Oregon Teen Sues McDonald’s Over Burn Injuries

An Oregon teen is suing McDonald’s alleging an employee of at one of the fast-food chain’s Madras, Oregon-area restaurants spilled scalding hot water on her, causing severe burns to her abdomen and lower body. The lawsuit, filed Oct. 4 in Multnomah County Circuit Court, claims the water that the McDonald’s employee allegedly served and spilled was unreasonably hot and caused the 14-year-old girl to suffer “partial thickness burns” to her midsection and lower body, Willamette Week reports. The scalding water damaged the teen’s epidermis – the outer layer of skin, as well as the dermis layer underneath. These “second-degree” burn ... Read More

Exploding Lithium-Ion Batteries for E-Cig Burn Louisiana Woman

A Louisiana woman is recovering from serious burns after a lithium-ion battery for an e-cigarette exploded in her hand. Kimberly Wright of Downsvile, Louisiana, told NBC 10 News that the lithium-ion battery burn is “the most violent acute pain that I have ever felt” and described the sound of the explosion as “like the combination of a bottle rocket and pipe bomb.” As she was dealing with the burning battery, dragging a burning rug out of her house, a second lithium-ion battery “skyrocketed to the roof and exploded,” NBC 10 reported. “The second battery blew up and it was even ... Read More