Tagged Articles

burns 66 articles

Chili’s Restaurant Employee Falls into Vat of Scalding Water

A Florida Chili’s restaurant worker was badly burned after falling into a vat of scalding hot water and now the restaurant faces more than $62,000 in penalties for workplace safety violations that may have contributed to the accident. According to documents published by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), on Oct. 2, 2018, an employee of a Miami-area Chili’s restaurant was working on an elevated platform above a Frymaser Rethermalizer full of 185-degree water. The appliance is an industrial kitchen machine used to heat frozen and chilled pre-packaged foods. OSHA doesn’t describe the employee’s injuries in detail, but it’s ... Read More

Two Workers Suffer Burns, Electrocution in Omaha Construction Accident

Two construction workers suffered serious burn injuries and other trauma at a construction site near downtown Omaha, Nebraska, when the bucket lift they were in made contact with power lines. Omaha’s WOWT 6 News said a police report on the March 11 accident listed the men as employees of Ronco Construction, an Omaha-based company that carries out construction projects throughout the Midwest. A witness told investigators at the scene that the boom truck made contact with a power line as the men were in the raised bucket. One of the men was ejected from the bucket and fell four stories ... Read More

Israeli Burn Care Device Treats Wound Without Physical Contact

Any burn injury survivor will tell you that the treatment of serious burns is an excruciating process, especially when it comes to dressing the wound – a procedure that usually must be repeated daily. But an Israeli nanotechnology company aims to provide more burn patients with needed relief with its new breakthrough medical device that treats burns without ever touching the patient. Nanomedic Technologies Ltd, based in the Tel Aviv area, says its SpinCare device spares patients the intense and traumatic pain of dressing changes by covering the burn with an advanced polymer solution that stays on the wound and ... Read More

Minor Burns Are Effectively Treated with Cannabis Topicals, Studies Show

Burns are one of the most common injuries in the kitchen and there is a massive yet still growing body of research providing evidence that cannabis-based topical treatments can provide pain relief, reduce inflammation, fight infection, and promote healing to minor burns. According to Colorado-based medicinal cannabis advocate and entrepreneur Dahlia Mertens, every home and restaurant kitchen should include topical cannabis lotions, balms, or salves as part of their first-aid kit. These non-intoxicating lotions, derived from the marijuana plant, can be highly effective in treating painful scald burns and other thermal burns that don’t require hospital treatment, she says. According ... Read More

Panda Express Worker Suffers Burn Injuries in Kitchen Explosion

A worker suffered burn injuries in a suspected gas explosion in the kitchen of a Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Panda Express restaurant Nov. 5. Hawaii Fire Department Battalion Chief John Whitman told West Hawaii Today that the injured worker was taken to Kona Community Hospital for treatment of her burn injuries. A second person was also injured in the explosion, but the nature and extent of the injuries is unclear. The injured Panda Express worker told responders that she smelled gas after a rice cooker dropped on the floor in the kitchen area of the restaurant. When she bent down to pick ... Read More

Toddler Suffers Burn Injuries From Pressure Cooker Accident

An Idaho toddler is recovering from severe burn injuries he suffered when the contents of a pressure cooker erupted, showering him with scalding hot liquid and food. Two-year-old Chayse Bodily was in the kitchen with his mother Angela Bodily the evening of Sept. 9 as she was about to put the finishing touches on Sunday dinner. She told the Twin Falls Times-News that she released the pressure from the pressure cooker and removed the lid to add some potatoes to a roast that was nearly done. Without warning, a bubble that was trapped under the roast shot the contents to ... Read More

OSHA Fines Patterson-UTI for Deadly Oklahoma Gas Rig Explosion

Safety failures triggered a massive explosion at a Patterson-UTI drilling site in eastern Oklahoma earlier this year, causing five workers to die of severe burns and blast injuries. Now federal regulators have assessed penalties of more than $118,000 for UTI-Patterson and two other companies involved with the drilling site. The explosion and subsequent fire occurred Jan. 22 on a Patterson-UTI drilling rig near Quinton, Oklahoma. It was the largest and deadliest drilling blast to occur since BP’s Deepwater Horizon exploded in the Gulf of Mexico in April 2010. The remains of the five workers who died in the explosion were ... Read More

Two Workers Suffer Burn Injuries in Utah Gas Plant Explosion

Two workers suffered severe burns and other injuries when a natural gas compression facility in Eastern Utah exploded on the morning of July 28. Investigators are working to determine the cause of the blast at the compression plant, located near the town of Cisco, Utah, about 50 miles west of Grand Junction, Colorado. Lt. Beau Edic of the Lower Valley Fire Protection District told The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel that despite their burns and other significant injuries, the men “removed themselves” from the blast site and drove to I-70, where they were evacuated to hospitals by helicopter. One of the ... Read More

Giant Hogweed Plant Leaves Virginia Teen With Third-Degree Facial Burns

A Virginia teen is recovering from third-degree burn injuries he developed after coming in contact with a Giant Hogweed plant while working a landscaping job. Alex Childress, 17, of Spotsylvania, was clearing vegetation on the job July 12 when he thought he was feeling the effects of a sunburn on his face. He continued working throughout the day, not realizing the actual danger he was in, Newsweek reports. When he returned home, he took a shower and found the skin on his face and arm was peeling away, much like it would after a severe sunburn. His mother, a nurse ... Read More

Toddler’s Burn Injuries Caused by Light-Up Shoes, Mother Says

A mother whose toddler suffered second-degree burns on his feet claims the injuries were caused by the batteries that power the lights in his Skechers Light Up training shoes. Sherry Foster described her son Peyton’s burn injuries in a public Facebook post on June 26. “Peyton has 2nd degree chemical burns from his sketcher lightable shoes. Apparently when they get wet the batteries release a chemical causing children’s feet to burn,” she said in the post, thanking her son’s doctor for treating his injuries on a busy day. The post quickly went viral, with more than half a million Facebook ... Read More