Tagged Articles

carbon monoxide 14 articles

Carbon Monoxide Likely Cause of Arizona Family’s Death

Carbon monoxide poisoning is the likely cause of death for an Arizona family of four who went to stay in a friend’s cabin near Flagstaff for the New Year’s holiday. According to 3TV/CBS 5 Phoenix, the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office received a call from a friend of the Capitano family on New Year’s Day asking it to send deputies to the cabin in Parks, Arizona, about 18 miles west of Flagstaff. The friend was concerned because the family had not responded to phone calls in days. Deputies who arrived at the cabin noticed a strong odor of burned propane gas ... Read More

Tests Link Coffee Roasting To Diacetyl And Other Extremely Toxic Gases

Federal safety researchers are warning workers who roast, grind, package, and serve coffee about the presence of diacetyl and other potentially deadly chemicals that occur in extremely high concentrations as a natural part of the coffee roasting and grinding processes. Prompted by an investigative report by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel detailing how coffee industry workers could be in danger of developing potentially deadly lung disorders, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) started testing the air inside a dozen coffee roasting facilities across the country. Its findings have put the coffee industry on high alert. The National Institute ... Read More

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning From Generator Likely Killed Michigan Family of Six

Authorities say carbon monoxide poisoning is likely what killed a Michigan couple and their four children over the weekend. The family of six was discovered inside their Fenton Township home Sunday, Feb. 21. Genesee County, Mich., Sheriff Robert Pickell told WNEM that Leonard and Heather Quasarano and their children Luke, 11, Brenden, 9, Rachel, 7, and Grant, 2 were discovered unresponsive inside their home by concerned grandparents who gained entry through the back door. The Sheriff told WNEM that the Quasarano family attended a movie night at their church Friday evening. When they returned home around 9:30 p.m. they discovered ... Read More

Accidental carbon monoxide poisoning suspected in death of Maryland family

Authorities investigating the deaths of a Maryland father and his seven children said that carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas generator was likely the cause of death. Rodney Todd, 36, was found dead Monday afternoon in his Princess Anne, Md., home along with his five daughters, Tynijuiza Todd, 15; Tykira Todd, 12; Tybree Todd, 10; Tyania Todd, 9; and Tybria Todd, 6, and two sons, Cameron Todd, 13, and Zycheim Todd, 7. Tyisha Chambers, 36, identified in reports as the mother of the seven children, was not in the house at the time. Princess Anne Police Chief Scott Keller told ... Read More

More than 1 million Smoke and Combination Smoke/CO Alarms recalled by Kidde

Walter Kidde Portable Equipment, in conjunction with Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), has announced a monumental recall of about 1.2 million smoke and combination smoke/carbon monoxide (CO) alarms. The recalled alarms may fail to sound during a fire or a CO incident, which prompted the recall. According to the CPSC, the recalled Kidde residential smoke alarms, model i12010S, were manufactured between the dates of Dec. 18, 2013 and May 13, 2014. The recalled combination smoke/CO alarms, model il2010SCO, were manufactured between the dates of Dec. 30, 2013 and May 13, 2014. Lastly, the combination smoke/CO alarms with model number KN-COSM-IBA ... Read More

Carbon monoxide detectors help EMTs avert disaster at Applebee’s, can safeguard your home

Recently on Long Island, N.Y., Justin Gau and Kyle Page, both emergency medical technicians (EMTs), were walking to their table in a local Applebee’s restaurant when they noticed their portable carbon monoxide (CO) detectors going off. “I made Justin go outside once or twice to reset it to make sure it was functioning before we screwed up everyone’s evening,” Page told local news station ABC 7. However, the detection of CO proved not to be a fluke and the EMTs jumped into action. Nearly 100 Applebee’s customers and employees were immediately evacuated from the scene and despite some claiming to ... Read More

CPSC asks children to help promote the ‘Invisible Killer: Carbon Monoxide’ with poster contest

The dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) are very real. It is often referred to as the invisible killer. It cannot be seen or smelled so you must be very aware of where it can occur. To help promote awareness, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is sponsoring a nationwide carbon monoxide safety poster contest for middle school kids to help warn people about the dangers of CO. Youngsters are encouraged to create a poster about the dangers of carbon monoxide. Possible topics include: •Facts about CO: You cannot see it or smell it. It is an invisible killer; •What ... Read More

CPSC observes “National Poison Prevention Week,” urging us to “Prepare and Prevent” poison exposure

This week, March 16-22, 2014, is National Poison Prevention Week. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is observing this week by asking consumers to “Prepare and Prevent” exposure to poisonous products in the household. Nearly 90,000 children are treated in emergency departments nationwide each year due to unintentional poison exposure, typically occurring in the home. An online Poison Prevention Safety Education Center has been created by the CPSC in order to reduce the risk of unintentional poising. CPSC emphasizes that even innocent-looking dangers often lurk in the household, but consumers can take simple steps to identify and prevent poison ... Read More

Carbon monoxide hazards associated with two recent water boiler recalls

Two new recalls have been announced by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) with issues related to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and its effects on consumers. The odorless, colorless gas known as CO has been linked to a substantial number of sudden illnesses and deaths due to the burning of fossil fuels. All gas, oil, or coal burning appliances release CO emissions that can be picked up by red blood cells and replace the much-needed oxygen in one’s body, thus destroying tissues and causing injury and death. Both recalls involve gas-fired hot water boilers, one manufactured by the U.S. Boiler ... Read More

Winter safety tips from CPSC and Red Cross aim to increase preparedness for cold weather

With cold weather and winter storms working their way through the U.S., Americans are hoping to start the new year on the right foot despite the dangerous climate effects around the country. Being aware of your surroundings while taking precautions from both indoor and outdoor hazards, such as power outages, dangerous roadways and freezing temperatures can make a difference between life and death. Staying warm in the harsh winter months can be a difficult task. Home heating is considered to be one of the leading causes of residential building fires during wintertime. From 2005 to 2007, nearly 33,000 fires and ... Read More