Tagged Articles

CO 10 articles

Carbon Monoxide Likely Cause of Arizona Family’s Death

Carbon monoxide poisoning is the likely cause of death for an Arizona family of four who went to stay in a friend’s cabin near Flagstaff for the New Year’s holiday. According to 3TV/CBS 5 Phoenix, the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office received a call from a friend of the Capitano family on New Year’s Day asking it to send deputies to the cabin in Parks, Arizona, about 18 miles west of Flagstaff. The friend was concerned because the family had not responded to phone calls in days. Deputies who arrived at the cabin noticed a strong odor of burned propane gas ... Read More

CPSC offers tips for safe operation of portable generators

In the wake of the recent hurricanes, many people were left without power for days or even weeks. Many rely on portable generators to supply power in a crisis. While these machines are designed to help save lives by providing electricity to keep food cold and homes comfortable, they can be deadly if used improperly. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) urges the public to take the time now, before there is an emergency, to familiarize themselves with how to safely operate a portable generator. The danger lies in the emission of carbon monoxide (CO), an odorless and colorless gas ... Read More

Risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Increases During Power Outages

Reliance on alternative sources of power during electrical outages escalates the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, a problem federal health authorities urge U.S. residents to keep in mind as tropical storms batter parts of the country and cause prolonged power outages. The destruction and power outages of tropical storms Harvey and Irma prompted millions of people to rely on propane, natural gas, and other alternative sources of power for boiling water, cooking, or generating power. But using these fuels indoors or in partially enclosed spaces could cause a buildup of carbon monoxide that can poison and kill people and ... Read More

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning From Generator Likely Killed Michigan Family of Six

Authorities say carbon monoxide poisoning is likely what killed a Michigan couple and their four children over the weekend. The family of six was discovered inside their Fenton Township home Sunday, Feb. 21. Genesee County, Mich., Sheriff Robert Pickell told WNEM that Leonard and Heather Quasarano and their children Luke, 11, Brenden, 9, Rachel, 7, and Grant, 2 were discovered unresponsive inside their home by concerned grandparents who gained entry through the back door. The Sheriff told WNEM that the Quasarano family attended a movie night at their church Friday evening. When they returned home around 9:30 p.m. they discovered ... Read More

More than 1 million Smoke and Combination Smoke/CO Alarms recalled by Kidde

Walter Kidde Portable Equipment, in conjunction with Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), has announced a monumental recall of about 1.2 million smoke and combination smoke/carbon monoxide (CO) alarms. The recalled alarms may fail to sound during a fire or a CO incident, which prompted the recall. According to the CPSC, the recalled Kidde residential smoke alarms, model i12010S, were manufactured between the dates of Dec. 18, 2013 and May 13, 2014. The recalled combination smoke/CO alarms, model il2010SCO, were manufactured between the dates of Dec. 30, 2013 and May 13, 2014. Lastly, the combination smoke/CO alarms with model number KN-COSM-IBA ... Read More

Carbon monoxide detectors help EMTs avert disaster at Applebee’s, can safeguard your home

Recently on Long Island, N.Y., Justin Gau and Kyle Page, both emergency medical technicians (EMTs), were walking to their table in a local Applebee’s restaurant when they noticed their portable carbon monoxide (CO) detectors going off. “I made Justin go outside once or twice to reset it to make sure it was functioning before we screwed up everyone’s evening,” Page told local news station ABC 7. However, the detection of CO proved not to be a fluke and the EMTs jumped into action. Nearly 100 Applebee’s customers and employees were immediately evacuated from the scene and despite some claiming to ... Read More

CPSC observes “National Poison Prevention Week,” urging us to “Prepare and Prevent” poison exposure

This week, March 16-22, 2014, is National Poison Prevention Week. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is observing this week by asking consumers to “Prepare and Prevent” exposure to poisonous products in the household. Nearly 90,000 children are treated in emergency departments nationwide each year due to unintentional poison exposure, typically occurring in the home. An online Poison Prevention Safety Education Center has been created by the CPSC in order to reduce the risk of unintentional poising. CPSC emphasizes that even innocent-looking dangers often lurk in the household, but consumers can take simple steps to identify and prevent poison ... Read More

Carbon monoxide hazards associated with two recent water boiler recalls

Two new recalls have been announced by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) with issues related to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and its effects on consumers. The odorless, colorless gas known as CO has been linked to a substantial number of sudden illnesses and deaths due to the burning of fossil fuels. All gas, oil, or coal burning appliances release CO emissions that can be picked up by red blood cells and replace the much-needed oxygen in one’s body, thus destroying tissues and causing injury and death. Both recalls involve gas-fired hot water boilers, one manufactured by the U.S. Boiler ... Read More

Winter safety tips from CPSC and Red Cross aim to increase preparedness for cold weather

With cold weather and winter storms working their way through the U.S., Americans are hoping to start the new year on the right foot despite the dangerous climate effects around the country. Being aware of your surroundings while taking precautions from both indoor and outdoor hazards, such as power outages, dangerous roadways and freezing temperatures can make a difference between life and death. Staying warm in the harsh winter months can be a difficult task. Home heating is considered to be one of the leading causes of residential building fires during wintertime. From 2005 to 2007, nearly 33,000 fires and ... Read More

New technology reduces generator CO emissions, improves safety

Historically, furnaces have been responsible for the most non-fire carbon monoxide (CO) deaths in the United States. But CO deaths have been on the rise since 1999, when generators hit the consumer market. In fact, from 2006 to 2008, generators surpassed furnaces for CO deaths, accounting for 43 percent of CO deaths compared to heating systems, such as furnaces, at 33 percent. Now a new study released by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) demonstrates that innovative technology can now dramatically reduce deadly CO emissions from certain portable gasoline-powered generators. If what the study proves is indeed accurate, this ... Read More