Tagged Articles

Denver 81 articles

Gas Explosion Survivor Calls for Safety Reforms

A Colorado woman whose husband and brother were killed in a natural gas explosion two years ago spoke publicly in support of reforming and strengthening safety, health, and environmental regulations governing the gas industry statewide. Erin Martinez was at her home in Firestone, Colorado with her son, husband, and brother when an accumulation of natural gas from a broken subterranean line ignited, causing a massive explosion that destroyed the house. Ms. Martinez remembers “being blown through the air and trapped between falling debris.” Her son also managed to crawl out of the wreckage, but her husband and brother didn’t survive ... Read More

Whistleblowers Say Colorado’s Revenue Dept. Wasting Millions of Taxpayer Dollars

Whistleblowers within the Colorado Department of Revenue say that waste, incompetence, and mismanagement in the agency are costing state taxpayers millions of dollars. The Denver Channel’s Contact 7 says it received a letter in a Colorado Department of Revenue envelope from “Concerned Colorado Department of Revenue Employees, Taxpayers, & Citizens of Colorado.” The whistleblowers pointed to “Climate Surveys” that assess the atmosphere within the agency by compiling anonymous feedback from Tax Division employees. “It is very important you get the results of these surveys … to understand the level of internal strife caused by the incompetence and mismanagement of resources ... Read More

Man electrocuted on the job awarded $16 million in damages

Colorado Electrical contractor Excel Electric was ordered to pay a former construction worker $16 million after he was electrocuted on the job, leaving him with lifelong disabilities. Brian Warembourg was working at a new construction site in Berthoud, Colorado, when he noticed there was no power source for his tools. He went to the breaker box to see if he could resolve the issue. Instead, it exploded, sending an electrical charge through his hands. “We believe it exited through a metal bracelet I had on my wrist,” he told Denver7. Warembourg said he felt like he had died when he ... Read More

Groping at Aretha Franklin funeral prompts #RespectAriana on Twitter

A pastor at the Greater Grace Temple in Denver apologized to Ariana Grande and her fans after being called out for groping the singer after her performance of “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman,” at Aretha Franklin’s funeral last week. Pastor Charles H. Ellis III can be seen wrapping his right arm around Grande and pulling her close. Viewers, like Romper editor and writer of a recently published CNN opinion piece, Danielle Campoamor, took issue with the pastor. After the exchange, during which his hand awkwardly appeared to be groping the side of the singer’s right breast, viewers ... Read More

Woman blames fracking for high levels of benzene in son’s blood

A Denver woman appeared at the Colorado Oil & Gas Conservation Commission meeting and asked them to explain why her 6-year-old son’s blood tested positive for toxic levels of cancer-causing chemicals. “If it isn’t the proximity of 158 wells that are within a one-mile radius of my home and my son’s school, then where would you say this level of exposure to this environmental carcinogen is coming from? Where?” she asked. Elizabeth Ewaskowitz was worried about her son’s health and wondered if the nearby fracking could be a risk to her young child. Fracking is the process of injecting liquid at ... Read More

Nursing home employees report abuse – from residents

Pioneer Health Care Center is a nursing home and elderly living establishment located in Rocky Ford, Colorado. It provides residential services to its clients, which consist mainly of long-term care as well as mental health services. In February, the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) cited the company for its failure to keep employees from being exposed to violence in the workplace. According to the Denver Post, investigators learned nursing home residents “grabbed, kick, bit and punched at staff members,” causing injuries including “cuts and bruises” as well as sprains, bruising, and injuries to the head ... Read More

Benzene Levels in Colorado Boy’s Blood Trigger Fracking Safety Debate

A Colorado mother whose son has dangerously high levels of cancer-causing benzene in his blood says that she believes the nearby fracking wells are to blame. Elizabeth Ewaskowitz, who holds a doctorate of pharmacology and neuroscience from the University of Colorado School of Medicine in Denver, had her 6-year-old son tested for volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in his blood because they reside within a mile of 158 fracking wells. The results showed that the boy was in the 85th percentile for benzene and 72nd percentile for ethylbenzene. Chronic exposures to both the VOCs are known to cause birth defects, blood ... Read More

Flavored ice pops recalled due to listeria scare

Warmer weather is popsicle weather, but buyer beware. The Ziegenfelder Company is recalling about 3,000 cases of its Budget $saver Cherry Pineapple Monster Pops and Sugar Free Twin Pops because they may be tainted with Listeria monocytogenes, a bacteria that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy individuals may suffer short-term woes like fever, headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, but the illness can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cautions. No illnesses or incidents involving the possibly ... Read More

Anadarko Cited For Another Deadly Colorado Gas Explosion

Anadarko Petroleum and three other companies have been cited for safety violations in connection with a natural gas explosion that killed one worker and left three others with severe burn injuries. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulators responded to a gas explosion in Mead, Colorado, about 35 miles north of Denver, in May 2017. The deadly explosion occurred at an Anadarko construction site where workers were merging two tank batteries into a single tank battery. According to OSHA, explosive vapors and gases emitted by pipes connected to a crude oil tank accumulated in the work area and ignited when ... Read More

Anadarko Benzene Spill Cleanup Underway In Colorado

Cleanup efforts are underway to remove tons of benzene contaminated soil and water from an Anadarko battery tank site in Dacono, Colorado, a community just east of Boulder. The Texas-based petroleum corporation notified the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC), the agency that regulates the state’s fossil fuels industry, of the toxic benzene spill, which it discovered when excavating an old pump earlier this month. Benzene is a cancer-causing chemical that is formed in natural processes, such as volcanoes and forest fires, but most exposures to benzene result from oil and gas production, factory waste, and other human activities. ... Read More