Tagged Articles

e-cig 5 articles

E-Cigarette Lithium-ion Battery Explosion Triggers Wisconsin Lawsuit

A Wisconsin woman who suffered severe burn injuries when an e-cigarette exploded in her pants pocket is suing the shop that sold her the device, the distributor of the allegedly faulty device, and the manufacturer of the lithium-ion batteries that caused the blast. The Madison County Record reports that plaintiff Audra Buckley says she bought an e-cigarette with two mini lithium-ion batteries from Green Forest Vapor Shop in Waterloo, Wisconsin on Jan. 4, 2017. The lithium-ion batteries, she claims, were unreasonably dangerous because they exploded in her pocket. The exploding lithium-ion batteries left her with burn injuries on her hips, ... Read More

Exploding E-Cigarette Prompts Injured NJ Man to Sue Vendor

A New Jersey man and his wife have filed a personal injury lawsuit against the vendor that sold the husband an e-cigarette that he alleges exploded in the pocket of his pants, causing him severe injuries. According to NJ.com, William Barrese and his wife Kathleen Barrese filed the lawsuit against Gorilla Vapes, an e-cigarette retail chain with six locations in New Jersey, in Middlesex County Courthouse in March. Mr. Barrese claims in the lawsuit that he was at work the day after Christmas last year when the battery in his e-cigarette suddenly exploded in the front left pocket of his ... Read More

E-Cigarette Fire Erupts Inside Lawyer’s Pants During Arson Trial

A Miami lawyer defending a man accused of arson abruptly ran out of the courtroom Feb. 8 just after he began closing arguments because his pants were on fire. Strangely, defense attorney Stephen Gutierrez, 28, was making an argument that his client’s car had spontaneously combusted when that very thing happened in his pants due to an e-cigarette in his front pocket, the Miami Herald reported. “He rushed out of the Miami courtroom, leaving spectators stunned. After jurors were ushered out, Gutierrez returned unharmed, with a singed pocket, and insisted it wasn’t a staged defense demonstration gone wrong,” the Miami ... Read More

Alabama Man Seriously Burned By E-Cigarette Explosion

Note to e-cigarette users: Do not put e-cigs or similar devices in your pants pocket. An Alabama man has become one of the latest e-cigarette users to be badly burned by an e-cig battery that suddenly exploded in his pocket, blasting flames that burned his clothes and skin. Jason Kromer, 33, told Montgomery’s WSFA that he was about to sit down for breakfast at a friend’s house when, without warning, his e-cigarette blew up “like a grenade,” covering his leg in flames. The intensely hot explosion and fire, almost certainly caused by the device’s lithium-ion battery, welded the e-cigarette canister onto Mr. ... Read More

E-Cigarette Explosion Sends Paris, Texas Man To Hospital With Facial Burns

A Paris, Texas, man was rushed to the emergency room with burn injuries to his face after an e-cigarette exploded in his home Monday, Feb. 21. Paris Fire Department Chief Larry Wright told the press that the explosion also set off a small fire on the floor of the house, which firefighters were able to contain before it spread. The injured man was not identified, but local reports said that the 19-year-old e-cigarette user sustained burn injuries to his face and left hand. He was admitted to Paris Regional Medical Center for treatment and is listed in stable condition. “These ... Read More