Tagged Articles

e-cigarette 77 articles

E-cigarette Battery Explosion Severely Burns NY Man

An e-cigarette battery explosion left a New York man with severe burn injuries Monday, Jan. 28, as he and a co-worker arrived at a home to begin some repair work. Jacob Dudhnath, 27, of Mamaroneck, New York, had just arrived at a job in Larchmont when the spare e-cigarette battery in his pocket exploded, engulfing his leg in flames. “All I knew was I had a fire in my pants, and it kept moving down,” Mr. Dudhnath told WABC Channel 7 Eyewitness News. “And it just kept getting hotter, so we just worked on getting it off of me as ... Read More

E-Cigarette Batteries Blamed for Two Canadian Airplane Incidents

E-cigarette batteries were the cause of two recent fires involving Canadian airliners, including one in-flight fire in the cargo hold of a passenger jet. Canadian authorities said the latest fire occurred in Cancun, Mexico, on Jan. 12 as baggage was being loaded onto Air Transat flight 443. According to Flightglobal, a preliminary aviation incident report by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) said that “brown smoke could be seen coming” from one piece of luggage being loaded onto the Vancouver-bound Airbus A321. The report stated that the smoking suitcase was removed from the gate area and doused with a ... Read More

Lithium-ion Batteries Ignite on China Southern Flight

A Lithium-ion battery fire that forced a China Southern Airlines plane to make an emergency landing in Malaysia Dec. 23 underscores the risks that the powerful, rechargeable batteries pose to commercial aviation. The aviation news website Simple Flying reported that China Southern Airlines Flight CZ396 had just taken off from Penang, Malaysia bound for its hub In Guangzhou, China, when a passenger’s battery pack exploded in an overhead compartment. The plane, an Airbus A321, radioed for help and turned back to Penang as cabin crew fought to extinguish the fire. Simple Flying reports that the crew managed to get the ... Read More

E-Cigarette Explosion in Canadian Man’s Mouth Triggers Lawsuit

E-cigarettes have exploded in popularity since they first hit the market in the mid-2000s, and they continue to literally explode in the hands, mouths, pockets, and purses of unfortunate e-cig users everywhere, causing serious injury and property damage. The Vancouver Sun reports that Shelby Hare, a resident of Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada, is suing the two local e-cigarette retailers and two international manufacturing and distribution companies after his e-cigarette exploded in his mouth on Dec. 30, 2016. Mr. Hare alleged that a defect in his e-cigarette caused the blast, leaving him with severe injuries that included a broken jaw, shattered ... Read More

E-Cigarette Fire Breaks Out on American Airlines Flight

An e-cigarette explosion caused a fire aboard an American Airlines flight last week, causing a stir among the passengers and crew but no injuries. Fortunately, American Airlines Flight 168 had just landed at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport when the e-cigarette burst into flames Friday, Jan. 4, about 9 p.m. Flight attendants aboard the flight, which originated in Las Vegas, stamped out the fire. None of the 138 passengers and six crew were injured and the plane taxied to the gate after the fire was extinguished. “Our crews are trained on fighting high energy battery fires,” American Airlines spokeswoman Leslie Scott ... Read More

Florida Man Airlifted to Hospital With E-Cigarette Explosion Injuries

A Florida man whose e-cigarette exploded in his pants pocket was airlifted to a Manatee County hospital Nov. 21 with extensive burn injuries. The 43-year-old man reportedly stowed the e-cigarette in the back pocket of his pants. The device exploded when he sat down on a chair at work. E-cigarettes are powered by powerful lithium-ion batteries, which can burst with intensely hot flames if damaged, flawed, overcharged, or stored with other metal objects. The Sarasota Herald-Tribune reported that the man’s burn injuries are not considered life-threatening, but he was flown to Blake Medical Center by BayFlite as a trauma alert. ... Read More

Smoldering E-Cigarette Triggers Boston Logan Airport Evacuation

A lithium-ion battery for an e-cigarette overheated inside a checked bag at Boston Logan International Airport, prompting an evacuation of a section of the busy airport and reminders from federal security agents that the batteries are prohibited in checked luggage. The smoldering e-cigarette battery was discovered on a busy Saturday morning after Thanksgiving when smoke began pouring from a suitcase inside the baggage screening room. According to NBC 10 Boston, the smoldering bag was discovered moments before it was loaded onto an airplane. Transportation Security Agents evacuated the baggage screening area and called in Massport Fire & Rescue and a ... Read More

E-Cigarette Blast Severely Burns California Toddler and Mom

California mom Paige Kadella heard a strange crackling sound coming from her purse as she was traveling in the backseat of her father-in-law’s car with her 18-month-old daughter Ashlynn. When she bent over to investigate, her purse was engulfed in flames. Her e-cigarette had exploded for unknown reasons and she seriously burned her hands as she frantically tried to put out the fire, screaming for her father-in-law to pull the car over. But Ashlynn, who was strapped into a car seat, suffered the worst injuries. The fire had spread from Ms. Kadella’s purse to her daughter’s car seat, leaving the ... Read More

UK Man Left With Severe Burn Injuries After E-Cigarette Explosion

An unexpected e-cigarette explosion inside the pants pocket of a U.K. man left him with horrific burn injuries and agonizing pain. Darren Wilson, a gas engineer and father of three, told the Liverpool Echo that he was busy remodeling his house when the e-cigarette explosion occurred. He said he had been standing by the kitchen door when sudden loud fizzing, sparking, and smoke made him think someone had thrown a firecracker into the doorway. “I looked down and my pocket was going off like a banger; it was fizzing and sparking and all smoke was coming from it,” Mr. Wilson, ... Read More

Lithium-Ion Battery Explodes Inside North Carolina Post Office

A lithium-ion battery for an e-cigarette exploded inside a woman’s handbag in a Salisbury, North Carolina post office Thursday, Oct. 4. The explosion was the latest in a series of mishaps involving lithium-ion batteries and e-cigarettes, which form the basis of numerous personal-injury and consumer product lawsuits throughout the U.S. According to the International Business Times, nobody was injured in the North Carolina incident, but the explosion was serious enough to warrant an emergency response by local fighter fighters and police officers. Fortunately, the only casualty of the lithium-ion battery explosion was the woman’s Michael Kors handbag, the IBT reported. ... Read More