Tagged Articles

electrocution 8 articles

Two Workers Suffer Burns, Electrocution in Omaha Construction Accident

Two construction workers suffered serious burn injuries and other trauma at a construction site near downtown Omaha, Nebraska, when the bucket lift they were in made contact with power lines. Omaha’s WOWT 6 News said a police report on the March 11 accident listed the men as employees of Ronco Construction, an Omaha-based company that carries out construction projects throughout the Midwest. A witness told investigators at the scene that the boom truck made contact with a power line as the men were in the raised bucket. One of the men was ejected from the bucket and fell four stories ... Read More

Widow sues school district, company for husband’s electrocution death

The wife of an experienced electrician who was killed while performing electrical work at a Buffalo, New York-area high school in 2017, is suing both the school district and the company that managed the project claiming both parties failed to provide a safe workplace for her husband. The lawsuit filed by Christy A. Gause, wife of now-deceased Charles Gause, names Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda Union Free School District and Campus Construction Management Group. Charles Gause was employed with CIR Electrical Construction Corp. On Aug. 30, 2017, Gause was performing electrical work in an electrical closet at the high school that was ... Read More

Biloxi Construction Worker Dies in Likely Electrocution Accident

Police in Hattiesburg, Mississippi are investigating a construction worker’s possible electrocution death at a shopping complex under construction in the city. According to the Hattiesburg American, Forest County Coroner Lisa Klem identified the construction worker as Paul Anthony Lawnicki of Biloxi. Jackson, Mississippi’s WHLT says that Mr. Lawnicki was 45 years old. The apparent accident occurred about 9:00 Friday morning at The District at Midtown. Emergency workers arrived at the work site in the 2900 block of Hardy Street to find Mr. Lawnicki in a crane that had made contact with a power line. He was declared dead at the ... Read More

Electrocution: a Deadly Occupational Injury

A Sarasota man was severely injured when he was electrocuted by power lines. Omri Snow, 23, was using a lift truck to hang banners on light poles for a private contractor when he came in contact with power lines. By the time rescue crews arrived on scene, the entire lift truck was engulfed in flames. According to Fox 13 News, from the time the truck caught fire to the time rescuers arrived and put it out, a total of only 16 minutes had passed. Power was shut off for the 3,000 nearby homes as a team worked to douse the ... Read More

OSHA investigating the death of an electrician in Kansas City

The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has announced that is in the process of investigating the death of an electrician in Kansas City, Mo. The victim, 40-year-old Jonathan Melton, was discovered bleeding and not breathing by a co-worker while working in the Briarcliff Hilltop Office Building. According to the police report, the co-worker found Melton after hearing someone cry out, “I need help,” and going to his aid. After the co-worker attempted cardiopulmonary resuscitation, Melton was taken to the North Kansas City Hospital where he was later pronounced dead. Melton had been employed by H & S Electrical ... Read More

CPSC warns storm victims to take care using portable generators

WASHINGTON, D.C. – In the wake of the severe weather that spawned numerous tornadoes throughout the Southeast and cut a path of destruction through Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama and Georgia, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is alerting storm victims to take care using portable generators. Due to widespread power outages, portable generators are commonly used to provide electricity. However, when not properly ventilated, these generators can pose a hazard themselves, from carbon monoxide poisoning. The CPSC reports at least 43 deaths linked to carbon monoxide poisoning from portable generators in 2009. The CPSC offers the following safety tips to protect ... Read More

Gas explosion at Calif. business kills one, severely burns another

An explosion blew the roof off an industrial building housing a metal working shop in South Los Angeles early Friday morning, killing one person and seriously injuring another. Investigators suspect somebody within the business tampered with the gas lines Thursday after the gas service was shut off for nonpayment. One victim, identified as Jaime Lara, the owner of the metal-coating company JL Spray, was inside the building and was hurled onto the street by the force of the blast. The other victim, described as a 35-year-old male, was on the street when the explosion occurred, but raced to move his truck ... Read More

OSHA investigates Ohio construction worker electrocution

A 26-year-old construction worker was electrocuted last week while working on a road project near Canton, Ohio. Kevin Meyer, a resident of Grove City, Ohio, was pulling old guardrail posts out of the ground when the accident occurred. Reports say that the boom of a drill / driver truck owned by Lake Erie Construction Company of Norwalk, Ohio, came close to an overhead electric service line crossing the road, allowing electricity to arc from the line to the truck. Meyer was working next to the truck at the time and was electrocuted when he came into contact with the truck. ... Read More