Tagged Articles

explosion 319 articles

Florida Man Airlifted to Hospital With E-Cigarette Explosion Injuries

A Florida man whose e-cigarette exploded in his pants pocket was airlifted to a Manatee County hospital Nov. 21 with extensive burn injuries. The 43-year-old man reportedly stowed the e-cigarette in the back pocket of his pants. The device exploded when he sat down on a chair at work. E-cigarettes are powered by powerful lithium-ion batteries, which can burst with intensely hot flames if damaged, flawed, overcharged, or stored with other metal objects. The Sarasota Herald-Tribune reported that the man’s burn injuries are not considered life-threatening, but he was flown to Blake Medical Center by BayFlite as a trauma alert. ... Read More

E-Cigarette Blast Severely Burns California Toddler and Mom

California mom Paige Kadella heard a strange crackling sound coming from her purse as she was traveling in the backseat of her father-in-law’s car with her 18-month-old daughter Ashlynn. When she bent over to investigate, her purse was engulfed in flames. Her e-cigarette had exploded for unknown reasons and she seriously burned her hands as she frantically tried to put out the fire, screaming for her father-in-law to pull the car over. But Ashlynn, who was strapped into a car seat, suffered the worst injuries. The fire had spread from Ms. Kadella’s purse to her daughter’s car seat, leaving the ... Read More

St. Paul House Explosion Injures One Man, Displaces Several Others

An explosion believed to be caused by natural gas leveled a house in St. Paul, Minnesota, seriously injuring one man and leading authorities to condemn all the structures on the block. The Nov. 23 explosion remains under investigation, but officials said that the blast may have been triggered by a natural gas line. Some residents reported the smell of gas, according to ABC Eyewitness News Chicago. Responders to the scene of the explosion found 80-year-old John Lundahl among the debris. Officials told WCCO CBS 4 Minnesota that Mr. Lundahl’s feet were sticking out of the rubble and he was conscious ... Read More

UK Man Left With Severe Burn Injuries After E-Cigarette Explosion

An unexpected e-cigarette explosion inside the pants pocket of a U.K. man left him with horrific burn injuries and agonizing pain. Darren Wilson, a gas engineer and father of three, told the Liverpool Echo that he was busy remodeling his house when the e-cigarette explosion occurred. He said he had been standing by the kitchen door when sudden loud fizzing, sparking, and smoke made him think someone had thrown a firecracker into the doorway. “I looked down and my pocket was going off like a banger; it was fizzing and sparking and all smoke was coming from it,” Mr. Wilson, ... Read More

Family Plans To Sue Columbia Gas Over Teen’s Gas Explosion Death

The family of an 18-year-old student who was killed in the Columbia Gas explosions that rocked three Massachusetts towns in September plans to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the utility company. Leonel Rondon, a high school junior from Lawrence, Massachusetts, was sitting in his SUV with three other friends when the Columbia Gas explosions occurred, toppling the brick chimney of a friend’s house where Mr. Rondon’s car was parked. The heavy structure fatally injured Mr. Rondon, who had just gotten his driver’s license a few hours before the pipeline blasts erupted throughout the Merrimack Valley. He died in the ... Read More

NTSB: Columbia Gas’ Faulty Work Orders Led To Gas Pipeline Explosions

Faulty work orders Columbia Gas of Massachusetts issued to crews upgrading natural gas mains led to a series of explosions and fires that caused widespread property damages across three northern Massachusetts towns, killing one person and injuring 21 others, federal investigators found. In its preliminary report on the Sept. 13 gas explosions, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said that work crews were taking a century-old cast-iron gas main out of service and replacing it with a new plastic main. However, Columbia Gas failed to instruct workers to deactivate pressure sensors. The sensors, detecting low pressure in the pipes, automatically ... Read More

Lithium-Ion Battery Explodes Inside North Carolina Post Office

A lithium-ion battery for an e-cigarette exploded inside a woman’s handbag in a Salisbury, North Carolina post office Thursday, Oct. 4. The explosion was the latest in a series of mishaps involving lithium-ion batteries and vaping devices, which form the basis of numerous personal-injury and consumer product lawsuits throughout the U.S. According to the International Business Times, nobody was injured in the North Carolina incident, but the explosion was serious enough to warrant an emergency response by local fighter fighters and police officers. Fortunately, the only casualty of the lithium-ion battery explosion was the woman’s Michael Kors handbag, the IBT ... Read More

Generator Explosion Injures Mobile Power Washing Worker

A generator explosion inside a mobile power-washing vehicle injured a worker on the job Sunday, Sept. 23, in Kalamazoo, Michigan. West Michigan’s WWMT Channel 3 reports that the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety responded to an emergency call reporting a commercial truck fire at a Schupan Aluminum and Plastic Sales warehouse around 12:30 p.m. Investigators said a worker who was power washing near the truck when the explosion occurred suffered non-life-threatening burn and blast injuries. According to WWMT, the worker was hit by shrapnel and suffered burns to his legs. He was taken to a hospital in Bronson, Michigan, for ... Read More

NTSB Investigating Tesla Model S Lithium Battery Fire

Federal investigators are looking into a battery fire that broke out in 2014 Tesla Model S electric car in June to address the unique safety issues encountered by emergency crews responding to electric vehicle crashes. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said the Tesla fire occurred on June 15 as a driver was traveling west on Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood, California. Other motorists flagged down the Tesla driver when they saw smoke coming from the vehicle. The driver pulled over, stopped the car, and got out. A nearby Los Angeles Police Department patrol car also stopped as smoke ... Read More

Widow Sues Colonial Pipeline For Husband’s Death in 2016 Explosion

The widow of a Colonial Pipeline contract worker who was killed near Pelham, Alabama when a section of leaking pipeline exploded is taking Colonial and other defendant companies to court, alleging they knew the pipeline was in a dangerous state of disrepair but neglected to take even the minimal safety precautions to protect their workers. Beverly Kay Willingham’s husband, Anthony Lee Willingham, was one of two workers who died when the Colonial pipeline exploded on Oct. 31, 2016. The deadly blast occurred as crews worked to repair a section of the pipeline that had failed the previous month, releasing more ... Read More