Tagged Articles

ingestion 3 articles

CPSC Sues Star Networks USA After Continued Sale Of Recalled Magnetic Balls and Cubes

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) staff filed an administrative complaint against Star Networks USA, LLC, claiming that their Magnicube Magnet Balls and Magnet Cubes not only contained flaws in their design, packaging, warnings and instructions, but posed a considerable risk to the public at large.  The Commission, which voted 2-1 in favor of filing the complaint, seeks, among other things, that the firm immediately stop selling Star Networks Magnicube Magnet Balls and Magnet Cubes, notify the public of the defects and offer consumers a full refund. Previous negotiations with Star Networks and its representatives failed to result in a ... Read More

Chemical in spray tanners may put users at risk for cancer

Spray tans are considered to be a safer way to get the look of a suntan without damaging the skin or risking skin cancer, but a new report suggests the chemicals found in spray tans may be dangerous as well. Six medical experts in the fields of dermatology, toxicology and pulmonary medicine are speaking out about the potential dangers of a chemical commonly found in spray-on tanners – dihydroxyacetone, or DHA. ABC News pulled together the panel of medical experts to review 10 of the most publicly available studies on DHA. While none of the studies were conducted on humans, ... Read More

Number of deaths and injuries from swallowing batteries soars

The more people use gadgets powered by “button batteries,” those silver pill-size batteries that typically power small electronics, the more battery-related injuries and deaths occur, the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission warned yesterday. Young children and even some senior citizens often swallow the small batteries, which have found their way into thousands of consumer products throughout the home, powering everything from calculators to flashlights. In fact, the rate of injury and fatality caused from ingesting button batteries has increased by seven times since 1985. And according to the CPSC, the consequences of swallowing a button battery are “immediate and devastating.” ... Read More