Tagged Articles

lithium batteries 26 articles

E-Cigarette Batteries Blamed for Two Canadian Airplane Incidents

E-cigarette batteries were the cause of two recent fires involving Canadian airliners, including one in-flight fire in the cargo hold of a passenger jet. Canadian authorities said the latest fire occurred in Cancun, Mexico, on Jan. 12 as baggage was being loaded onto Air Transat flight 443. According to FlightGobal, a preliminary aviation incident report by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) said that “brown smoke could be seen coming” from one piece of luggage being loaded onto the Vancouver-bound Airbus A321. The report stated that the smoking suitcase was removed from the gate area and doused with a ... Read More

Lithium-ion Batteries Ignite on China Southern Flight

A lithium-ion battery fire that forced a China Southern Airlines plane to make an emergency landing in Malaysia Dec. 23 underscores the risks that the powerful, rechargeable batteries pose to commercial aviation. The aviation news website Simple Flying reported that China Southern Airlines Flight CZ396 had just taken off from Penang, Malaysia bound for its hub In Guangzhou, China, when a passenger’s battery pack exploded in an overhead compartment. The plane, an Airbus A321, radioed for help and turned back to Penang as cabin crew fought to extinguish the fire. Simple Flying reports that the crew managed to get the ... Read More

E-Cigarette Fire Breaks Out on American Airlines Flight

An e-cigarette explosion caused a fire aboard an American Airlines flight last week, causing a stir among the passengers and crew but no injuries. Fortunately, American Airlines Flight 168 had just landed at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport when the e-cigarette burst into flames Friday, Jan. 4, about 9 p.m. Flight attendants aboard the flight, which originated in Las Vegas, stamped out the fire. None of the 138 passengers and six crew were injured and the plane taxied to the gate after the fire was extinguished. “Our crews are trained on fighting high energy battery fires,” American Airlines spokeswoman Leslie Scott ... Read More

Florida Man Airlifted to Hospital With E-Cigarette Explosion Injuries

A Florida man whose e-cigarette exploded in his pants pocket was airlifted to a Manatee County hospital Nov. 21 with extensive burn injuries. The 43-year-old man reportedly stowed the e-cigarette in the back pocket of his pants. The device exploded when he sat down on a chair at work. E-cigarettes are powered by powerful lithium-ion batteries, which can burst with intensely hot flames if damaged, flawed, overcharged, or stored with other metal objects. The Sarasota Herald-Tribune reported that the man’s burn injuries are not considered life-threatening, but he was flown to Blake Medical Center by BayFlite as a trauma alert. ... Read More

E-Cigarette Blast Severely Burns California Toddler and Mom

California mom Paige Kadella heard a strange crackling sound coming from her purse as she was traveling in the backseat of her father-in-law’s car with her 18-month-old daughter Ashlynn. When she bent over to investigate, her purse was engulfed in flames. Her e-cigarette had exploded for unknown reasons and she seriously burned her hands as she frantically tried to put out the fire, screaming for her father-in-law to pull the car over. But Ashlynn, who was strapped into a car seat, suffered the worst injuries. The fire had spread from Ms. Kadella’s purse to her daughter’s car seat, leaving the ... Read More

Lithium-Ion Batteries Blamed for Florida House Fire

Lithium-ion batteries are the culprit in an Oct. 22 house fire in Port St. Lucie, Florida, local firefighters said. Investigators determined that lithium-ion batteries used for model cars were to blame for the fire, which left the house with a lot of smoke damage. Fortunately, nobody was injured in the blaze. Capt. Paul Langel of the St. Lucie County Fire Protection District said the lithium-ion batteries in this case were charging and left unattended, according to WPTV West Palm Beach. He said lithium-ion batteries cam ignite while they’re charging, especially if the batteries aren’t charged on the proper charger. Rechargeable ... Read More

Judge Finds Amazon Not Liable For Hoverboard House Fire

A Georgia man who was severely burned and lost his home to a fire triggered by a Chinese-made hoverboard had his lawsuit against Amazon and several other companies dismissed by a federal judge, who said the plaintiff failed to provide sufficient evidence that Amazon knew the device it sold was unsafe. Chief Judge Thomas Thrash Jr. of the Northern District of Georgia responded favorably to Amazon’s motion to dismiss the lawsuit – a decision that lawyers for plaintiff Irvin Love Jr. said came before any factual discovery could be conducted into what and when Amazon knew about the defective hoverboard ... Read More

NTSB Investigating Tesla Model S Lithium Battery Fire

Federal investigators are looking into a battery fire that broke out in 2014 Tesla Model S electric car in June to address the unique safety issues encountered by emergency crews responding to electric vehicle crashes. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said the Tesla fire occurred on June 15 as a driver was traveling west on Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood, California. Other motorists flagged down the Tesla driver when they saw smoke coming from the vehicle. The driver pulled over, stopped the car, and got out. A nearby Los Angeles Police Department patrol car also stopped as smoke ... Read More

E-Cigarette Fire or Explosion? The FDA Wants to Know

Federal regulators are asking users of e-cigarettes and other electronic vape devices to report explosions, overheating, fires, and any other health- or safety-related problem with the devices. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is encouraging U.S. consumers to report safety problems they have experienced with e-cigarettes on the agency’s Safety Reporting Portal. The portal streamlines the process of reporting product safety issues and allows the FDA and National Institutes of Health (NIH) to gather valuable information that could inform future regulation. The FDA says the Safety Reporting Portal is also open to health care professionals, manufacturers, and researchers as ... Read More

Toddler’s Burn Injuries Caused by Light-Up Shoes, Mother Says

A mother whose toddler suffered second-degree burns on his feet claims the injuries were caused by the batteries that power the lights in his Skechers Light Up training shoes. Sherry Foster described her son Peyton’s burn injuries in a public Facebook post on June 26. “Peyton has 2nd degree chemical burns from his sketcher lightable shoes. Apparently when they get wet the batteries release a chemical causing children’s feet to burn,” she said in the post, thanking her son’s doctor for treating his injuries on a busy day. The post quickly went viral, with more than half a million Facebook ... Read More