Tagged Articles

Lithium-ion batteries 45 articles

Parents Say Tesla Removed Speed Limiter Before Deadly Crash

The parents of a Florida teen who died in a fiery high-speed crash in a Tesla Model S last May are suing the automaker, alleging a Tesla service technician removed a speed limiter device without their consent. Edgar Monserratt and Esperanza Martinez, the parents of 18-year-old Edgar Monserratt Martinez, claim the speed limiter could have prevented the deadly crash. The driver, 18-year-old Barrett Riley, also died in the crash. According to the lawsuit, Barrett Riley’s parents had a speed limiter installed on the Tesla Model S that prevented the car from going over 85 mph. They had the speed limiter ... Read More

E-Cigarette Batteries Blamed for Two Canadian Airplane Incidents

E-cigarette batteries were the cause of two recent fires involving Canadian airliners, including one in-flight fire in the cargo hold of a passenger jet. Canadian authorities said the latest fire occurred in Cancun, Mexico, on Jan. 12 as baggage was being loaded onto Air Transat flight 443. According to FlightGobal, a preliminary aviation incident report by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) said that “brown smoke could be seen coming” from one piece of luggage being loaded onto the Vancouver-bound Airbus A321. The report stated that the smoking suitcase was removed from the gate area and doused with a ... Read More

Lithium-ion Batteries Ignite on China Southern Flight

A Lithium-ion battery fire that forced a China Southern Airlines plane to make an emergency landing in Malaysia Dec. 23 underscores the risks that the powerful, rechargeable batteries pose to commercial aviation. The aviation news website Simple Flying reported that China Southern Airlines Flight CZ396 had just taken off from Penang, Malaysia bound for its hub In Guangzhou, China, when a passenger’s battery pack exploded in an overhead compartment. The plane, an Airbus A321, radioed for help and turned back to Penang as cabin crew fought to extinguish the fire. Simple Flying reports that the crew managed to get the ... Read More

E-Cigarette Explosion in Canadian Man’s Mouth Triggers Lawsuit

E-cigarettes have exploded in popularity since they first hit the market in the mid-2000s, and they continue to literally explode in the hands, mouths, pockets, and purses of unfortunate vapers everywhere, causing serious injury and property damage. The Vancouver Sun reports that Shelby Hare, a resident of Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada, is suing the two local e-cigarette retailers and two international manufacturing and distribution companies after his e-cigarette exploded in his mouth on Dec. 30, 2016. Mr. Hare alleged that a defect in his e-cigarette caused the blast, leaving him with severe injuries that included a broken jaw, shattered teeth, ... Read More

Lithium-ion Batteries Ignite on China Southern Flight

A lithium-ion battery fire that forced a China Southern Airlines plane to make an emergency landing in Malaysia Dec. 23 underscores the risks that the powerful, rechargeable batteries pose to commercial aviation. The aviation news website Simple Flying reported that China Southern Airlines Flight CZ396 had just taken off from Penang, Malaysia bound for its hub In Guangzhou, China, when a passenger’s battery pack exploded in an overhead compartment. The plane, an Airbus A321, radioed for help and turned back to Penang as cabin crew fought to extinguish the fire. Simple Flying reports that the crew managed to get the ... Read More

E-Cigarette Fire Breaks Out on American Airlines Flight

An e-cigarette explosion caused a fire aboard an American Airlines flight last week, causing a stir among the passengers and crew but no injuries. Fortunately, American Airlines Flight 168 had just landed at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport when the e-cigarette burst into flames Friday, Jan. 4, about 9 p.m. Flight attendants aboard the flight, which originated in Las Vegas, stamped out the fire. None of the 138 passengers and six crew were injured and the plane taxied to the gate after the fire was extinguished. “Our crews are trained on fighting high energy battery fires,” American Airlines spokeswoman Leslie Scott ... Read More

Florida Man Airlifted to Hospital With E-Cigarette Explosion Injuries

A Florida man whose e-cigarette exploded in his pants pocket was airlifted to a Manatee County hospital Nov. 21 with extensive burn injuries. The 43-year-old man reportedly stowed the e-cigarette in the back pocket of his pants. The device exploded when he sat down on a chair at work. E-cigarettes are powered by powerful lithium-ion batteries, which can burst with intensely hot flames if damaged, flawed, overcharged, or stored with other metal objects. The Sarasota Herald-Tribune reported that the man’s burn injuries are not considered life-threatening, but he was flown to Blake Medical Center by BayFlite as a trauma alert. ... Read More

E-Cigarette Blast Severely Burns California Toddler and Mom

California mom Paige Kadella heard a strange crackling sound coming from her purse as she was traveling in the backseat of her father-in-law’s car with her 18-month-old daughter Ashlynn. When she bent over to investigate, her purse was engulfed in flames. Her e-cigarette had exploded for unknown reasons and she seriously burned her hands as she frantically tried to put out the fire, screaming for her father-in-law to pull the car over. But Ashlynn, who was strapped into a car seat, suffered the worst injuries. The fire had spread from Ms. Kadella’s purse to her daughter’s car seat, leaving the ... Read More

UK Man Left With Severe Burn Injuries After E-Cigarette Explosion

An unexpected e-cigarette explosion inside the pants pocket of a U.K. man left him with horrific burn injuries and agonizing pain. Darren Wilson, a gas engineer and father of three, told the Liverpool Echo that he was busy remodeling his house when the e-cigarette explosion occurred. He said he had been standing by the kitchen door when sudden loud fizzing, sparking, and smoke made him think someone had thrown a firecracker into the doorway. “I looked down and my pocket was going off like a banger; it was fizzing and sparking and all smoke was coming from it,” Mr. Wilson, ... Read More

Lithium-Ion Batteries Blamed for Florida House Fire

Lithium-ion batteries are the culprit in an Oct. 22 house fire in Port St. Lucie, Florida, local firefighters said. Investigators determined that lithium-ion batteries used for model cars were to blame for the fire, which left the house with a lot of smoke damage. Fortunately, nobody was injured in the blaze. Capt. Paul Langel of the St. Lucie County Fire Protection District said the lithium-ion batteries in this case were charging and left unattended, according to WPTV West Palm Beach. He said lithium-ion batteries cam ignite while they’re charging, especially if the batteries aren’t charged on the proper charger. Rechargeable ... Read More