Tagged Articles

lithium 14 articles

California Man Suffers Devastating Burns in E-Cigarette Explosion

A California man is suing the world’s leading battery manufacturer over severe burn injuries he suffered when his e-cigarette exploded in his pants pocket. According to the Los Angeles Times, 26-year-old Erik Howell of Glendale filed the personal injury lawsuit against LG Chem, the Korean chemical company that owns the lion’s share of the world’s battery market, in Los Angeles Superior Court. Mr. Howell alleges an LG Chem battery for his e-cigarette “violently exploded” in the front left pocket of his pants Jan. 15, setting his clothes on fire. The white-hot flames from the battery severely burned his legs and ... Read More

Insurer Prevails in E-Cigarette Explosion Coverage Dispute

Atlantic Casualty Insurance Company is off the hook for claims filed against an e-cigarette vendor over serious injuries a woman sustained when her e-cigarette exploded in her face. Spokane, Washington-based Lilac City Vapor said its insurer, Atlantic Casualty, should be liable for the e-cigarette victim’s claims, but a Washington federal court judge granted Atlantic summary judgment on Sept. 7. According to Law 360, Atlantic based its argument for summary judgment solely on an exclusion that the company said precludes coverage for any personal injuries that occur off the store’s premises. Law 360 reports: In the underlying suit, Marlene Rubertt says ... Read More

U.S. Researchers Create Lithium-ion Battery Without Fire, Explosion Risk

Could explosive lithium-ion batteries and all the injury and property damage they cause soon be a thing of the past? Researchers with the University of Maryland and the U.S. Army Research Laboratory have developed the world’s first lithium-ion battery that uses a salt-water electrolyte and hits the 4.0-volt mark needed for laptop computers and other household electronics without the risk of explosion and fire that traditional non-aqueous lithium-ions present. “In the past, if you wanted high energy, you would choose a non-aqueous lithium-ion battery, but you would have to compromise on safety. If you preferred safety, you could use an aqueous ... Read More

Lithium Battery Explosion Sets Wisconsin Home on Fire

A lithium battery that was charging inside a drone is believed to be the cause of house fire near Racine, Wisconsin Sunday, Sept. 3. The (Racine) Journal Times reports that the occupants of the home, located in the town of Sturtevant, just a few miles west of Racine, made it out of the burning building unharmed, but there was concern that their cat did not. Rajelio Ramirez, a neighbor who lives next door to the home that caught fire, called 911 when the woman who lived in the house with her boyfriend ran over and asked for help. The woman ... Read More

E-Cigarette Blast Triggers Panic in London Train Station

It’s amazing how much chaos a small device like an e-cigarette or a lithium battery can stir up. British Transport Police evacuated London’s Euston Station Wednesday, Aug. 30 and put the train system on lockdown due to a bomb threat that actually was, in all likelihood, an e-cigarette exploding inside a train passenger’s bag. Several people in the crowded terminal abandoned their bags and fled when the bag started smoking. A restaurant worker at the Leon Restaurant inside the station told The Independent that it was a scene of sheer panic. “People started rushing towards the restaurant and some younger ... Read More

Hoverboard Fire Forces Missouri Mall Evacuation

A lithium battery inside a hoverboard exploded inside the central court of a Missouri mall Saturday, August 5, injuring one person and forcing the shopping center’s evacuation. The Southeast Missourian reports that the Cape Girardeau Fire Department responded to a call about the hoverboard explosion at 5:18. According to various reports, someone was charging their hoverboard in an outlet in the mall’s central kiosk area when the lithium battery exploded. A witness told the Southeast Missourian that he heard popping sounds and saw the hoverboard emitting flames and smoke. Mall employees doused the hoverboard with dry-chemical fire extinguishers. The fire ... Read More

E-Cigarette Blast Leaves Driver With Burn Injuries, broken Bones

An Arizona woman whose e-cigarette exploded in her lap while driving continues to recover from burn injuries and broken bones in a Phoenix hospital a month after the incident. The 20-year-old woman’s e-cigarette exploded in her lap as she was pulling up to a curb. Witnesses told police the woman jumped from the vehicle, fell to the ground, then got up again and stumbled. She was reportedly rolling on the ground when her truck started moving and rolled over her, crushing her pelvis and legs. Firefighters transported the woman to Maricopa Medical Center with severe burns on her legs and ... Read More

CPSC: Stop Using LayZ Board Hoverboards Immediately

A hoverboard fire that killed two young girls in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in March has prompted federal regulators to issue an urgent warning to Americans calling for them to immediately stop using LayZ Board hoverboards. On April 3, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said it has evidence that a LayZ Board hoverboard was the source of the Pennsylvania house fire, which fatally injured two young girls and left another one with severe burn injuries March 1. The fire also displaced about 21 people, local reports said. The LayZ Board hoverboards, which are a different product from Lazyboard hoverboards, were made ... Read More

Passenger’s Headphones Explode On Flight From China To Australia

Australian authorities are investigating an explosion and fire caused by a pair of headphones that injured a female passenger about two hours into a flight from Beijing to Melbourne. The passenger was sleeping while playing music on the headphones when she heard a loud explosion and felt a burning sensation on her face. “I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck,” she told the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB). “I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor.” The passenger said the headphones were sparking and on ... Read More

Alabama Man Seriously Burned By E-Cigarette Explosion

Note to e-cigarette users: Do not put e-cigs or similar devices in your pants pocket. An Alabama man has become one of the latest e-cigarette users to be badly burned by an e-cig battery that suddenly exploded in his pocket, blasting flames that burned his clothes and skin. Jason Kromer, 33, told Montgomery’s WSFA that he was about to sit down for breakfast at a friend’s house when, without warning, his e-cigarette blew up “like a grenade,” covering his leg in flames. The intensely hot explosion and fire, almost certainly caused by the device’s lithium-ion battery, welded the e-cigarette canister onto Mr. ... Read More