Tagged Articles

South Dakota 62 articles

QVC Warns of Trivet Magnets After Child’s Brush With Death

The television shopping network QVC is warning customers who purchased a Copper Chef cookware set about a silicone trivet containing powerful magnets that could be deadly if swallowed. The QVC warning comes after 3-year-old Monty Trias of Watertown, South Dakota nearly died after ingesting the high-powered magnets. Monty’s mother Emily Trias told Sioux Falls’ KELOLAND TV that she and her husband couldn’t figure out at first where the magnets that their son swallowed came from. Eventually, however, they discovered that they attached to the bottom of a flexible silicone trivet that came as part of the QVC cookware set. The ... Read More

Duke Life Flight Helicopter Crash Lawsuit Blames Blocked Oil Line

The families of two people killed in a Duke Life Flight helicopter crash in North Carolina last year are suing the manufacturers of the aircraft and its engine, alleging that an oil line defect led to the crash. The Perquimans Weekly reports that the helicopter crash lawsuit was filed by the families of Mary Bartlett, a patient who was being airlifted Duke Hospital and Duke Life Flight nurse Kristopher Harrison. All four people aboard the helicopter were killed in the Sept. 8, 2017 crash. The other two victims were pilot Jeff Burke and Duke Life Flight nurse Crystal Sollinger. The ... Read More

Arizona Man Claims Years of Monsanto Roundup Use Caused His Cancer

An Arizona man battling non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma blames Monsanto for his illness, claiming in a federal lawsuit that the agrochemical giant concealed its knowledge of cancer risks associated with glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup pesticide. Ray Harry, a resident of Scottsdale, Arizona, who used to live in Iowa, filed his complaint against Monsanto in U.S. District Court in Sioux City, Iowa. He states in his lawsuit that he used Roundup on his properties for nearly a quarter of a decade, first in South Dakota from 1988 to 2006 and then in Iowa from 2011-2016, according to The Sioux City Journal. ... Read More

News reporter shares story of daughter’s tragic drug overdose

Sioux Falls, South Dakota television news reporter Angela Kennecke is sharing her story of the tragic loss of her daughter to a drug overdose to remind others that the opioid epidemic can affect anyone. Kennecke’s daughter’s struggle with opioid addiction wasn’t a surprise. On May 16, Kennecke was drafting letters to her daughter Emily for a drug intervention. Kennecke had noticed that her beautiful, blond-haired daughter had become enamored by the drug culture and hanging out with questionable friends. Her appearance changed, and she stopped showing up at family gatherings. When Kennecke found out that one of Emily’s friends had ... Read More

Semi-truck crash causes multi-vehicle pileup, fatalities

A semi-truck driver’s distracted driving was likely the cause of a fiery multi-vehicle crash in Idaho in June that claimed the lives of three airmen from Mountain Home Air Force Base as well as the driver of the truck, according to a report issued by the Idaho State Police. Illya D. Tsar, an employee for Krujex Freight Transport Corp., was driving a 2019 Volvo semitractor-trailer truck east on the freeway just before noon on June 16 when he failed to stop and careened into a 2008 Jeep Wrangler carrying the airmen. The Jeep and other vehicles were stopped just ahead ... Read More

Del Monte Vegetable Trays Linked to Second Midwest Cyclospora Outbreak

Del Monte vegetable trays have been linked to one of two separate outbreaks of cyclospora parasite in the Midwestern U.S., public health officials warn. Combined, the cyclospora outbreaks have sickened at least 400 people in every Midwest state along with Montana, Kentucky, and West Virginia. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported 237 cases of cyclosporiasis in people who ate vegetables from Del Monte Fresh vegetable trays containing broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, and dill dip. Reports of illnesses linked to cyclospora-contaminated Del Monte vegetable trays came from Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Of the people sickened after ... Read More

McDonald’s Salads Linked to Intestinal Parasite Across the Midwest

McDonald’s has stopped selling salads at thousands of its Midwestern locations after dozens of people fell ill with cyclosporiasis, an illness caused by the intestinal parasite cyclospora. As of Sunday, July 15, public health officials in Illinois have confirmed 90 cases of cylclosporiasis in patients who had eaten at McDonald’s in the previous days, while officials in Iowa reported 15 cases. Health officials in Nebraska, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin, and South Dakota are also reporting cyclosporiasis illnesses that they believe stem from McDonald’s salads. According to USA Today, each of the states has two cases, except for Missouri, which has seven, and ... Read More

Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Melons Grows

A melon recall triggered by a multistate outbreak of Salmonella-related illnesses has been expanded to include 10 additional states, bringing the total number of states affected by the outbreak to 23, according to federal health officials. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said the recall encompasses pre-cut watermelon, honeydew melon, cantaloupe, and fruit salads containing one or more of those melons produced and distributed by Caito Foods of Indianapolis, Indiana. Alabama, Florida, Kansas, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Tennessee have been added to the list of states where the melon may be contaminated with salmonella, the ... Read More

QLaser Fraud Scheme Ends With Prison Sentences

A South Dakota man who made $16.6 million selling fraudulent medical devices called QLasers to the elderly and others with medical problems has been sentenced to prison. South Dakota federal judge Roberto A. Lange sentenced Robert “Larry” Lytle, 83, of Rapid City, to 12 years in prison, followed by two years’ supervised release for organizing and leading the fraud scheme. Mr. Lytle pleaded guilty in January to one count of conspiracy to introduce misbranded medical devices into interstate commerce with the intent to defraud and mislead and one count of criminal contempt. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, Mr. ... Read More

Woman claims silver supplement turned her skin blue

A South Dakota woman is suing Nevada-based Beneficial Solutions, maker of the silver-based dietary supplement NutraSilver, alleging the product turned her skin a grayish blue. Sandra Chrans says she began using the NutraSilver supplement in 2011 to treat skin conditions. In 2016, she noticed that her face, neck, arms and hands started to turn blue-gray. In September of that year, she consulted with a plastic surgeon who advised her to immediately stop taking the supplement because the doctor believed it was causing her strange discoloration. She was diagnosed with argyria, a condition caused by excessive exposure to chemical compounds of ... Read More